Spurious Voltage on 2 way switch??

Thats obvious but both ends are floating in thin air, voltage has been induced on line, no capacitance theory in my mind!
Look at your own diagram, three wires running parallel to each other fro several metres. There is capacity between them. One wire is permanently connected to Live 230 volts AC. Therefore the other wires will have 230 volts induced onto them.

dont wanna argue over the matter, people trying to show how clever they are/or not!

Not trying to be clever. just offering knowledge gained from 40 years working in electronic design to help you.

Sponsored Links
what are you referencing your voltages to?
is the earth connected in your lighting circuit? ( not all are.. )

the construction of 3C+E means that there is an earthed wire between 2 of the cores, but not between the last one and one of the others, it's usually this / these ones that have the spurious voltages on them..

didn't used to be a problem since they would just bleed through the filament lamps to neutral but without sufficient energy to light the lamp, but with low E lamps it may build up enough charge to cause the occasional flicker or with LED lamps there may be enough current to light them dimly..

I have devised a solution, but it involves converting the wiring to "2 plate" or "conduit" style wiring and the use of an intermediate switch at the "live" end with the need for a neutral at the "live" end..... ( could be done with an earth, but it would most likely upset an installation with an RCD since you'd be connecting neutral to the earth through the lamp when it was swithched off.. )

Sponsored Links
Just chuck one of these across the lamp(s) and stop faffing about worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

I can't see how your 2-way lighting diagram is right.

On a 2-way switch system, you connect L1 from switch 1 to L1 on switch 2, and then L2 from switch 1 to L2 to switch 2. You then apply mains L on the com terminal of switch 1 and the feed to the light from the com on switch 2. Neutral just goes to the neutral on the light.

So you have 1 wire in each of the light switch terminals.

How you obtain the L&N from a loop-in ceiling rose is up to you.

Or is this what your diagram shows, and I'm confused?

that is the "old" way and also called 2 plate or "conduit" wiring..
nowadays we use 3C+E and wire as shown in the picture..
it means that you don't have to get the switched live back from the other end of the run somehow and makes it easy to turn a 1 way switched light into a 2 way switched light..

It is right as is your way in that both work.

In the diagram when both switches are up the red connects only to yellow so no circuit from Yellow Live to Blue Switched live. Likewise if both down then red connects only to blue so again no connection Live to Switched Live

When one switch is up and the other down one end of the red connects to yellow and the other end connects to blue thus linking Live to Switched live.

Look at it some more - it's quite simple.

On a 2-way switch system, you connect L1 from switch 1 to L1 on switch 2, and then L2 from switch 1 to L2 to switch 2. You then apply mains L on the com terminal of switch 1 and the feed to the light from the com on switch 2. Neutral just goes to the neutral on the light.
That's one way - there are others.

How you obtain the L&N from a loop-in ceiling rose is up to you.
And therein lie the seeds of potential problems with 2-way landing lights.

Or is this what your diagram shows, and I'm confused?
No, it doesn't. Look at it some more - it's quite simple.

So maybe the newfangled wiring scheme is causing induced currents that are lighting the newfangled light fittings? If that's how it's wired, I'm not surprised at the result.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back