spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If an electrical appliance is run from a spur, is it better to have a fused switch or an RCD in the spur?

Sponsored Links
You don't need an RCD for a spur (if its meant to supply outside appliances it should be RCD protected at the consumer unit)

If there is just one plug spurred from a ring circuit there is no requirement to fit a FCU either, but it will make isolation easier if you need to and will also allow you to run a number of sockets after the FCU (although all those sockets will have a max. capacity of 13a)

Davy

Thanks very much. I like the idea of protecting the spur, but is there a problem with having an RCD on a spur when the ring (from which the spur is to be taken) also has an RCD. I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether there is any conflict between multiple RCDs in the same ring.

You might have discrimination issues with multiple RCD's. You should have a 30mA RCD protecting the sockets in the consumer unit. I don't believe they make a plug-in RCD with a rating less than that so overall its pointless fitting an extra RCD unless it offers more protection than the main one.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back