ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20190105_161340.jpg
20190105_161218.jpg
20190105_161316.jpg
20190105_161227.jpg
Hi! 1930 built house semi with squeaking stair case currently carpeted ( i know this has to come off to do repairs) 13 steps in total there is meter cupboard underneath and the stairs are boarded with t&g and the toilet next to it toilet is tiled inside so no access to underneath the stairs in that area chippy who came few days ago says cutting t&g upto the partition to the toilet will be required to access to the wedges which is fine that means 8 treads can be fixed from underneath he is of opinion that stairs repairs from top are no no! I have seen website which says fixings/adhesive are possible from top! ( when chippy came i was out my oh attended)
Any help advise will be appreciated
Thanking in advance
Ih some poor photos with apology

Sponsored Links
You really need to get to the underside of the stairs to do a thorough job- the chances are the wedges will be loose or have maybe fallen out.
However you can screw through the treads into the risers which will help a bit. The trouble is you can't do the same at the bottom of the riser. I have screwed through the outer stringer before, directly into the tread and riser......it didn't cure things completely but it did help.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back