squeaking stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all

have had a quick trawl around the archives but couldn't find anything so........

what's the method to stop stairs squeaking when being used?? we can't get underneath as that'll entail far too much work.....

i was going to screw down what's screwable and bang in wood wedges wherever it's wedgeable - is this a good solution or is there a better one???

Sponsored Links
The only way I can see is to drill holes & countersunk into the tread over the riser area and screw it down then use filler top of screw head. Take great care if the riser is plywood as they tend to split. I find the plasterboard black screws are the best. Another improvement would be to use a quadrant timber (1/4 round) at the corner of the riser and tread with glue & panel pin

Sponsored Links
masona- I think your second idea is best, as I've tried screwing down and it doesn't work too well- on my stairs anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back