Squeaking wheels problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I recently had my wheel bearings replaced as they were on their way out and making a considerable noise. Since the job theres a big improvement except that there is now a squeaking from the front wheels. Its very annoying. Its still there when I brake so I assume its not the brakes, and I didnt hear it prior to the job.
Im gonna take it back in but dont want to be fobbed off so I thought id ask here for advice.

Sponsored Links
It could be something as simple as disc run out, i.e flange of hub not cleaned properly after refitting discs, slight wobble on disc, does the noise increase proportionally to the speed of the car?If the noise was not there before then you have every right to take it back to be checked.

Wotan

It could be something as simple as disc run out, i.e flange of hub not cleaned properly after refitting discs, slight wobble on disc, does the noise increase proportionally to the speed of the car?If the noise was not there before then you have every right to take it back to be checked.

Wotan

Thanks for the reply. Yes its a 'pulsing' squeak if you know what I mean and it increases with speed. Ive got a long journey on xmas eve so Ill have to get it sorted before then.

I think it is probably the backplate touching slightly. Remove the wheels and make sure you have a clearance from the disk to the backplate all round, if not bend the plate away slightly.

;)

Sponsored Links
Hi
I recently had my wheel bearings replaced as they were on their way out and making a considerable noise. Since the job theres a big improvement except that there is now a squeaking from the front wheels. Its very annoying. Its still there when I brake so I assume its not the brakes, and I didnt hear it prior to the job.
Im gonna take it back in but dont want to be fobbed off so I thought id ask here for advice.

Maybe you didn't hear the squeaking because of the noisy bearings?

You had considerable noise from the bearings? Lack of service.

What bearings got replaced?, i assume front? All round?

Fobbed off? What did it cost? :rolleyes:

Hi

Maybe you didn't hear the squeaking because of the noisy bearings?

You had considerable noise from the bearings? Lack of service.

What bearings got replaced?, i assume front? All round?

Fobbed off? What did it cost? :rolleyes:

Erm what's with the attitude and rolling eyes idiot? 'Lack of Service'.. probably but ive only had the car a couple of weeks so not my fault. It was a cheap car. Had both front bearings replaced and no it wasnt squeaking before. It cost £300 total for the job which included a handbrake repair.
Anyway thanks to others for sensible replies. :rolleyes:

I'd be delighted to know how to 'service' front wheel bearings :D
I'm wondering if the pads were greased on their backs and running surfaces when they were put back in, but as you say, applying the brakes usually gets rid of the noise. Is there any juddering or pulsing of the pedal when you brake?
John :)

I'd be delighted to know how to 'service' front wheel bearings :D
I'm wondering if the pads were greased on their backs and running surfaces when they were put back in, but as you say, applying the brakes usually gets rid of the noise. Is there any juddering or pulsing of the pedal when you brake?

No pulsing or juddering, just the noise. Am taking it back in tomorrow. He explained over the phone what it would be and that it would be easy to sort out. Unfortunately I didnt understand a word of it. :LOL:

Please post back with the outcome - we're all ears!
I suspect there may be some bovine excrement coming along somewhere.

Well I got up this morning to take it in to get squeak sorted only to find my windscreen washer motor not working and the exhaust blowing like a good 'un. Anyway squeak sorted 'just a bit of rust' apparently. Exhaust welded up to see me over xmas and washer motor mysteriously started working again after a bit of fiddling. £20 all in. I think he felt sorry for me after the wheel bearings and handbrake issues.

Hmmm just a bit of rust, huh? Yeah, right.....
The washer pump would have been frozen I expect.
Anyway, I hope your motor gives you a break!

Sponsored Links
Back