Squeaky Floorboards ARGH!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Moved into a new house a few weeks back and all is great apart from the ridiculous noises you get when walking about upstairs. I have 3 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs and all rooms are the same. I can be walking in my room and hear noises coming from the next bedroom.

I’ve attached a photo of the flooring, and in the same room I have also screwed down the flooring which has slightly improved things but I’m still getting noise.

I’m starting to think that a) this floorboard material (whatever it is) isn’t suitable or b) there is something I can do to the joists to strengthen them and stop movement (if that’s a thing!?)

Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed...

0883EB09-AD86-4AE3-BF00-5EC223833BD4.jpeg

Attachments

• 8E9245AE-687C-48C0-AD5F-835330780180.jpeg
    8E9245AE-687C-48C0-AD5F-835330780180.jpeg
    331 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
That’s chipboard, possibly moisture resistant, matched with what looks like mdf, or older plywood. Where the chipboard is (green coloured), you could try lifting it and placing some packers underneath, or even just have a look underneath to see what might be making it creak, such as pipework.

Thanks CBW - I’ve had the majority of it up and all looks clean underneath, no pipe work fouling. I’ve banged screws in too which has improved things but still not ideal.

The frustrating thing is, I can walk around in one room and here the noises coming from another room, so maybe it’s not the boards but movements in the joists.

I wonder if I add some braces in between the joists, do you think that could assist?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back