Soundproofing a first floor flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I'm sorry if this ends up in the wrong forum and if it's been covered before - I have searched the forums and found some really useful info but still not sure what my options are.

I live in a corner 1st floor flat, with the living room/kitchen backing onto a kids bedroom & a set of stairs leading to the bedroom. They have laminate flooring which when they are running upon, creates an incredible amount of noise! It's rare they talk in the bedroom but it does come through muffled when they do.

I am looking at having M20 boards put on the living area wall to muffle as much noise as possible - good idea? I fear some is still going to come through the kitchen area wall which is 5 inches thicker but seems pretty hollow.

Also my floorboards can vibrate quite a bit - not keen on replacing them all, is there anything I can do instead to the floorboards nearest to the party wall to again minimise the vibrations? I am also thinking of putting a heavy fish tank next to the wall to help :)

I'm not expecting a perfect solution here - some noise will always come through but if I can get it to 'dull thuds', I'd be very happy :D

Any advice would be really, really appreciated. Many thanks for reading!
Stan

Sponsored Links
Post in the Building Section or ask the mods to move your thread. Get a better response there, expand your description to what you think the floor construction is too.

Also, search for similar threads there are hundreds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back