Squeaky Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've very squeaky floorboads beneath the carpet in a 1960's house. From peeping at other the boards in the cupboards I think that they are original, poor quality, that have been hacked around over the years and need attantion. So what are my options and what do people recommend?

I'm thinking of laying this new wooden flooring that seems in-vogue at the moment - the stuff that slides/clicks together. Would this be best laid strigt over the old n squeaky and would that make them quite ..or..should I pull the old ones up and lay the new 'click and slide' stuff down on the rafters - is that possible/advisable?

Steve

Sponsored Links
squeaky floorboards are often cured by scewing them down. that is because the boards move slightly and screws will hold them still where as nails allow slight movement.

Quite often a loose board is like that because either a Plumber or an Electrician has had it up at some point to install pipes or cables below so be very careful about putting fixings into it if you are not sure. If you can lift the carpet then you should be able to identify the boards and try to lift it out so you can check if there are any pipes or cables below and then if it is all clear you can refix securely with woodscrews but drill a pilot hole if you are screwing near the end of a board to avoid splitting it. Laying laminate over a squeaky floor will not cure the squeak and it is certainly not advisable or safe to remove the floorboards and lay laminate on the joists because it is only about 8mm thick rather than a minimum 18mm depth of floorboard. Fix the floorboards as above and the new floor can then be laid directly on top . Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back