Squeaky Floors & Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I'm new to the Forum & would really appreciate any advice, I'm officially a "Pencil Squeezer" as my mates would call it so not great at any DIY but willing to learn as I go..

I've recently purchased a new build property & am the second owner. Its still got the NHBC Warranty with about 1.5 years to run. I had it surveyed before the purchase and the floors were given an A1 rating, however it was noted that there was a slight spring to the upstairs floors.

Now we have the place full of furniture there is a really bad squeak from the stud wall/floor whenever you walk into a certain bedrooom. It can also be heard from another room which is on the back of the same wall. I understand from some research that this is probably down to the chipboard floors flexing and being nailed down, not screwed. I have wood flooring (not laminate) all over the upstairs which I would need to pull up to carry out any work.

My question is really will it hopefully just be a case of adding additional screws once I pull the flooring up? I wanted to wait until such time as I decide to carpet the upstairs bedrooms but in all honestly its playing on my mind now having paid everything for this house. I also notice that the TV is wobbling when we walk near it due to the amount of flex in the floors upstairs in this particular room....

Sorry this has turned into such a long post but I wanted to explain the situation.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. :oops:

Sponsored Links
My view (a serious DIYer, not a professional)

If the floor as a whole is flexing then it's a sign that the sub floor (joists and noggins) either aren't up to carrying the load they are, or they're fixed poorly so the whole thing is moving.

Either way you can't fix it with a couple of screws, you need to take the whole floor up (and quite possibly the ceiling below it) either fix firmly or sister the joists.

If you want to stiffen the floor lift the floor boards and put some noggins in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back