Squeaky Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is driving me crazy so any advice is greatly appreciated!

An upstairs internal (non-load bearing) stud partition wall squeaks whenever I walk around on the floor near it. After a bit of investigation, I've found that there is a gap underneath the wall, i.e. between the wall and the floorboards, big enough to pass a pencil under from one room to the next. The squeak seems to be coming from the nails that hold the wall to the floor - it appears that the floor is flexing as I move around on it, and this is causing the squeak.

My question is - what can I do about it?! On one side of the wall I've already taken the carpet up and replaced all nails in the floor with screws, but it seems the joists themselves may be flexing.

The squeak occurs when I walk on either side of the wall (one side is the landing, the other my bedroom, so it gets a lot of traffic!) and seems to be worse at some times than others.

Help!

Sponsored Links
This is driving me crazy so any advice is greatly appreciated!

An upstairs internal (non-load bearing) stud partition wall squeaks whenever I walk around on the floor near it. After a bit of investigation, I've found that there is a gap underneath the wall, i.e. between the wall and the floorboards, big enough to pass a pencil under from one room to the next. The squeak seems to be coming from the nails that hold the wall to the floor - it appears that the floor is flexing as I move around on it, and this is causing the squeak.

My question is - what can I do about it?! On one side of the wall I've already taken the carpet up and replaced all nails in the floor with screws, but it seems the joists themselves may be flexing.

The squeak occurs when I walk on either side of the wall (one side is the landing, the other my bedroom, so it gets a lot of traffic!) and seems to be worse at some times than others.

Help!
Hi I had this problem but cured it recently and now I have silence. I rolled back the carpet about 2 feet from the stud wall. I removed the skirting then I cut through the nails holding the stud wall which was about 10mm from the floor. (The squeak was coming from the floor board rubbing on the nails. I then screwed in 4 100mm screws at about 45 degrees through the bottom of the stud wall in to the flooring and joists below. It was that easy.

Sponsored Links
You could hammer in a wedge in the gap preventing movement.

I had wedges put in all along the stud wall by the builders. It did not work. The way I did it cured a years old problem in less than 2 hours!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back