Squeaky Chipboard Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a chipboard floor thats very squeaky (seems a common problem!). The 3 boards in the picture are the worst, I can see them move up and down when I stand on them.

Was going to screw them down and talc them but I'm not sure where the joists are, although I do know that they run left to right. Was hoping to see rows of nails but the only nail is the one at the to top the picture near the middle.

It's T&G and the boards run under the walls so not keen to take the floor up. Any safe way to screw the boards down or should I just live with the squeaks?

Sponsored Links
So, you are saying that you have stud partition walls on two or three sides of the room?

Are the boards presently screwed down? If not, then how are they fixed?

Where the board(s) run under the partition do they squeak on the other side?

Does the floor bounce, or sag when walked on?

All sorted, stuck a coat hanger through the cracks and figured it out. Screwed it down and it's silent so won't bother with talc for now.

PS Yes it's studs on 3 sides, and you are right it does squeak on the other side. There are very few nails holding it down. It doesn't sag but you can see the edges move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back