Squeaky chipboard flooring unsupported

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wondering if this is normal? See attached photo.

I have quite a lot of squeaky floor boards in my house that seems to be where there's an unsupported join in the boards. You'll see from the photo that the boards are nailed to the joist, but the join isnt on the joists, it's about 100mm away.

Is this common? Assuming the only fix will be to lift the boards and support it under the join?

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240315_180524_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240315_180524_Gallery.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Found my bathroom floor pic earlier

20171107_080526.jpg

It's square edged, hardwood faced ply, screwed down, with my own decorative finish.

I wouldn't usually have so many cuts, but it has bath plumbing under that bit.

The old chipboard was horrible.

I got a so-called pro to put 22mm chip down in our bedroom. I asked him to ensure he put all the short sides on a joist.

Went up to give him a drink and one edge was miles away. Luckily that was the only one. He grumbled about doing the job his way. I told him if I was paying, I wanted it done my way.....

Every new build is chip board. Pain in the ass. Always squeak problems in the future. 18mm 22mm floorboards screwed are a lot better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back