Country
United Kingdom
I've cleaned the calipers and the pads,
sandpapered the sheen on the braking surface of the pads
copper greased the points where the calipers hold the back of the pads

this worked for about a month and now the squeeling is coming back

the cars' a 2004 Micra. can i fit shims? It didn't have them in before

Sponsored Links
Hi, is there a lip on the discs? If so you need to file the leading edge of the pads to a 45 degree angle, but don't go mad. This should stop the edge of the pad rubbing on the lip.

Was the caliper free to slide on its pins?
If alls ok there, perhaps the discs have become glazed in the past and are ready to be replaced.
The squealing should stop if the brakes are applied gently.
John :)

hi,
Yes there's lips on the discs.. not sure if theyr'e worn too far yet.
I'll try taking the pads out and doing as suggested.

I checked the calipers travel on the pins and there's no problem there.
The brakes squeel when gentle or medium pressure applied.. then goes when applied harder.

think the discs may be on the way out as theirs a fair lip on the edges.
The car's done 60k + on them I think.

I'm certain it's onto its 2nd set of pads as they look fairley new

Sponsored Links
If your thinking that then i would get new discs fitted, but that repair will get you through until they are fitted(ASAP). There's two things you don't F*ck with and that's steering and brakes.

So THATS why i keep crashing?!?! :D lol, yup I agree there.. plus tyres!
The guys at the local garage looked at them as they were putting new tyres on but said nothing but will get 2nd. opinion.

The discs will have worn to an uneven profile so obviously use new pads too. Yours will be vented discs and remarkably inexpensive.
I tap the rust lip away with a hammer as a matter of course and I'll bet the inner face of the disc is worse than the outer.
John :)

I borrowed a micrometer and i've got a minimum reading of 2.8mm to go to minimum. The two surfaces look (or appear )evenly worn with light scoring. I measured in 3 places (outer to inner radius) and at 2 places on the disc (180 degrees from each other) will check at garage for as you say there may be more wear on inside surface and as your right about being vented it may be thinner and weaker.

Sponsored Links
Back