SSE Total Heating Total Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im currently on a THTC electric meter. It has a 2 rates one for general use lights sockets etc and a second "cheaper" rate for storage heaters, hot water, panel heaters and electric showers.

i have just had fitted 2 new Dimplex Quantum heaters which like the conventional storage heaters store the heat up but rather than release the heat soon as its daylight they are able to keep it stored and release the heat when its required thanks to the timer settings.

Ive read several different forums with regards to THTC but have never really got the answer im looking for. Am i better on THTC or switching to Eco7. With eco7 i feel id get the full 7 hour charge and the new heater would be able to retain the heat for when i require. ie when i finish work. THTC it seems to be based on SSE how much cheap electric they provide you on a daily basis for the storage heaters. i feel im paying too on the current THTC meter as the new quantum heaters are supposed to be more efficient but im certainly not noticing it but im never able to ever find anyone else with the same all electric system to compare with.

Sponsored Links
One advantage with thtc is/was you would get cheap electric during the day. I used to know the hours that you got it in my old house. I'm sure it was a good 4/5hrs in the middle of the day, 30mins about 8pm, and then more hours overnight. Do you know what times you get the cheap electric for?

The disadvantage is you can't move electricity supplier, as no other companies (to my knowledge) offer thtc. So no chance of getting a cheaper rate.

The new heater will cost the same to heat up, but they may be able to store the heat longer.

If you're on benefits or a very low income you may be eligible for a grant for "first time central heating" which would probably be an air source heat pump.

scbk Im not sure on the exact hours anymore as when the new heaters were fitted they changed the spur sockets and there is no longer an indicator light present.

I had considered contacting SSE to change the meter to eco7 which would then open up cheaper rates as i do believe the new heaters would retain the heat but not 100% sure if there would be any benefit as you cant really compare rates at the moment,

Sponsored Links
The THTC is a Scotland only thing, and it seems some one in the North decides when you get power, because it is Scotland only, clearly the only people who can advise are also Scottish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back