Sse thtc tariff advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm looking to see if I can save some cash switching energy as have never bothered before. I know it can be swings and roundabouts with the pricing from the big firms but am looking for some advice please...

Flat had storage heaters when it was bought, but I got a gas meter put in and I installed the heating system.
I'm on a token meter with sse called thtc (total heating total control) but I'm confused as found a letter from feb telling me my annual useage which was:

Thtc units used 702
Unrestricted units 2147

Although I took the tenancy over halfway through that bill, the gas heating was put in well before the start of the bill, so where does the 702 units come from?

Is it possible that I'm still using the old meter that the storage heaters used?

Is this working in my favour or against me?

Any help/advice appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
The meter is probably registering all electrical use during the 'heat' periods, so the 702 units will be other items which were switched on at the heating times. Usually overnight with at least one extra period during the day.

However as you do not have electric heating, get rid of the dual rate effort as the daytime units usually cost significantly more as a penalty for the heating ones costing less.

Get rid of the token meter as that is probably costing you money as well.

So does thtc work like the economy 7 (I think it is called) where you get cheaper rate through the night to heat up the storage heaters then a higher rate through the day?

Here is a couple of pics if any help.

Sponsored Links
So does thtc work like the economy 7 (I think it is called) where you get cheaper rate through the night to heat up the storage heaters then a higher rate through the day?
Basically yes - but with extra heating periods in the day as well.
Only of benefit if you actually have all-electric heating.
A waste of money otherwise.

Done a bit of googling, seems nobody else will take on that tariff so I guess I'll have to try to get a credit Meter from sse before I can change suppliers etc.

Thanks for the advice

ask b/g if they will offer you a duel fuel deal as they already have an interest or indeed scottish and southern to take on the gas for a duel fuel deal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back