sSuitable under unit lighting ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any good advice available on suitable under kitchen lighting, my situation is that I have one slight problem unit that 98% of the time will be no problem at all but it's the 2% I'm worried about.

I will be having a light fitted under 3 different units , two no problem at all the other unit will be about a 1m wall unit but it will have a microwave sitting on the worktop beneath it, the microwave is no problem in it's own right but it's a bake angd grill microwave unit, so now and then it's pumping out a good bit more heat, about 25 mins constant heat at it's worst moment, (couple of large jacket potatoes). Most little tube lights all state between 10 - 25 ° , it will be hotter than that just while the microwave is in this mode.

I know I can put the light off center so the heat wasn't directly underneath it. it would'nt be much use if it was half over the micro any way , but are there any better solutions about, most of those little tube lights are made of plastic but I have seen them in alluminium.

Any good solutions about ? :) :)

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you really need a light in that situation, it's not as if you will be working in that area much with a micro-wave there. You could just leave an insulated cable for future use.

It will look a very unbalanced kitchen If I don't, it's a bit more cosmetic than needing a light under the units, but as I said 98% of the time the heat is not a problem at all, just the missus and daughter are rather fond of jacket potatoes so for that odd 20 minutes of heat maybe once or twice a week , the heat will come from the corner of the kitchen at the back of the unit, the best I can do to ,is to put a small tube at the front opposite corner which would then be situated about 400 mm away from the direct heat source. The situation is basically = Wall unit - extractor - Wall unit, that's the whole of that wall filled up, on the opposite wall I will have

Wall unit - Boiler - Window

Or use a different type of light mounted on the wall beside the microwave which would still be approximately 400 mm away from the heat source

the missus and daughter are rather fond of jacket potatoes
They can't be.

The only way to "bake" a large potato in 20-25 minutes is to microwave it first.

And nobody who has any real appreciation of baked potatoes would do that.

This is a kitchen, and it's most important purpose (by a HUGE amount) is the production of food. Your lighting issue may well need resolving (have you actually measured the temperature where they will be?), but far, far more important is to stop mistreating potatoes like that.

Sponsored Links
Got to disagree on that one, it works as half microwave half fan /convection oven, you can get two proper crispy jackets done in 25 mins , less if they're smaller potatoes, :D are potatoes even worth saving these days, nearly given up buying them from the farms around here, I like reds but all the farms sell in the 25 kg sacks turn to slop within 15 mins if you boil them in a saucepan, and those Albert Rooster brand they advertise on telly are even worse than that :(

I'll have to stick the microwave on in Combi mode and see just how hot it gets , looks like me daughter's having jacket potato for her tea :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back