Stacking out tiles before fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first attempt at roofing.

Noticed roofers stack out tiles on a roof in a particular pattern, before fixing. Is there a standard way this stacking is done?

I have large format concrete tiles. Planned to stack 4 max, and only where a rafter gives support underneath - sound ok?

Also, what spacing should I leave between/around each stack of tiles?

There are 10 tiles per square metre.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
...started with stacking out this morning, five in a pile located over rafters. Not much fun.

The tiles are specc'd to be laid from right to left. However, where verge is on the left and a valley on the right hand side of the roof plane, do I just do left to right instead? Or should I string a vertical line down from the ridge, ending at the base of the valley, allowing a square section of tiles to be laid right to left, then return to the valley area to infill?

Depending upon tile there is no reason why you cant go left to right just a little more tricky.
Usually though the roof would be set out and lines struck top to bottom so you know where you are going to end up.
This also allows you to keep tile lines straight.
As for loading, generally 4s 6s or even 12s depending on tile. 5 is an odd number so not ideal have not the time to explain the setting out of tile loads tonight. enough to say you should be tiling right to left so you'll pick up a tile and lay it to the right of the load (stack) extra loads at the end where you finish.. Ps in your case if you go left to right then load it to suit.

Depending upon tile there is no reason why you cant go left to right just a little more tricky.
Usually though the roof would be set out and lines struck top to bottom so you know where you are going to end up.
This also allows you to keep tile lines straight.
As for loading, generally 4s 6s or even 12s depending on tile. 5 is an odd number so not ideal have not the time to explain the setting out of tile loads tonight. enough to say you should be tiling right to left so you'll pick up a tile and lay it to the right of the load (stack) extra loads at the end where you finish.. Ps in your case if you go left to right then load it to suit.

Looking at the interlock on this tile (redland grovebury), it will be awkward going left to right. I'll give it a go and make a decision whether to continue or go right-left instead.

I've noticed pro roofers strike out lines with the ink, but this is diy! I have made a pencil mark on battens every three tile widths with a string line, to use as a guide for straightness/plumb on vertical runs.

Onto the dry verge units today, as they appear to be fixed to right hand verge before tiling starts.

Realised the stacking out, although neat and weight evenly distributed, isn't the best - I haven't left much room to start on the right hand verge side - maybe should've left a free area at least 2 tile widths down the right hand verge, in order to pick up from a stack and place tile to the right in one movement? Got a nasty feeling I'll be moving some of those stacks around, as they'll be in the way. :mad:

Sponsored Links
Grovebury can most certainly be laid left to right if you wanted to. you say you are tiling into a valley so just cut where they need.

the fixing of dry verge isnt an issue.

if you have to move your loads .. heyho s be it

has the valley to the right turned into a verge some how?

Last edited:
Grovebury can most certainly be laid left to right if you wanted to. you say you are tiling into a valley so just cut where they need.

Never fixed dry verge units before but having got my head around the installation instructions yesterday I can see they can also be retrofitted. On the r/h verge I nailed a tile at eaves course, fitted plastic unit over, repeated upwards until reaching the ridge.

Real issue I've had is with placement of stacks, which is down to inexperience/lack of knowledge. Yesterday I spent more time moving tiles between stacks than fixing tiles down. Double handling - what a waste of time and effort! In retrospect, I should've left three tile widths or 900mm clear of tiles down the right hand verge and the left three battens from eaves course upwards exposed too. That would've allowed me to reach up or across to bring a tile down into place without being fouled by a loaded stack. We live and learn. If anyone is contemplating a similar first time diy job, plan carefully and map where to load out on the roof!

Sketch of roof below...

Never fixed dry verge units before but having got my head around the installation instructions yesterday I can see they can also be retrofitted. On the r/h verge I nailed a tile at eaves course, fitted plastic unit over, repeated upwards until reaching the ridge.

Real issue I've had is with placement of stacks, which is down to inexperience/lack of knowledge. Yesterday I spent more time moving tiles between stacks than fixing tiles down. Double handling - what a waste of time and effort! In retrospect, I should've left three tile widths or 900mm clear of tiles down the right hand verge and the left three battens from eaves course upwards exposed too. That would've allowed me to reach up or across to bring a tile down into place without being fouled by a loaded stack. We live and learn. If anyone is contemplating a similar first time diy job, plan carefully and map where to load out on the roof!

Sketch of roof below...

...plan view:

Attachments

• Plan view roof Jul 15.jpg
    Plan view roof Jul 15.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 466

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back