Stain for my fence panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. My fence has never been painted or stained since it was installed a few years ago. It's all in pretty good shape but starting to show some signs of discolouration from weathering so it's time to protect it. I don't know if it was pre-treated from new, I guess it would have been but I don't know how long dip or pressure treatment is good for.

Having done some research, I know it's better to stain than paint. I stained my shed a while back with Barrettine Wood Protective Treatment. Is that what I should do my fence with as it's oil based and penetrates? It's £17 for 5 litres though.

Barrettine also do a 5l tub for £4.88 called 'Shed and Fence' but it's water based decorative treatment so probably not effective on protecting. Would you not recommend buying this? But it's not a paint at least, but apparently more like a stain.

Then there's Ronseal One Coat Fence Life, also £4.88. Does anyone know if that is stain and if it would be better or just the same decorative treatment as the Barrettine?

Screenshot_20200423-122128_Opera.jpg

For 10 panels approximately 6 x 5, any idea how many 5 litre cans or tubs I might approximately need, assuming I'll probably need 2 coats on just my side?

20200423_122449.jpg
And am I wasting my time if the other side isn't stained? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Fence panels are very thin, and unless in contact with the ground, don't rot much.

In dry weather, they are too dry to support growth of rot, and during rain, they are too wet. Being thin they dry out quickly.

Fence stains provide an ornamental function. OOI Wickes have an end-of-range clearance offer on some of their own-brand fence stains, but it is very difficult to buy from them during lockdown

examples https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/G...t/Shed+Fence-Treatment/c/1000772?q=:price-asc

And this 10 litre tub for £4 !!
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Water-Repellent-Timbercare---Autumn-Cedar-10L/p/170588

If you want protection, use a wood preserver on the tops, and any upward-facing surfaces where rain may linger. And don't use wooden posts or gravel boards in contact with the ground.

Two coats of what, Ronseal one-coat fence life? :rolleyes:

The irony isn't lost on me. The fact is I know there are people that would say a one coat product usually still needs at least two. But it's a good price which is why I mentioned it.

Fence panels are very thin, and unless in contact with the ground, don't rot much.

In dry weather, they are too dry to support growth of rot, and during rain, they are too wet. Being thin they dry out quickly.

Fence stains provide an ornamental function. OOI Wickes have an end-of-range clearance offer on some of their own-brand fence stains, but it is very difficult to buy from them during lockdown

examples https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Gardens/Exterior-Paint+Wood-Treatment/Shed+Fence-Treatment/c/1000772?q=:price-asc

And this 10 litre tub for £4 !!
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Water-Repellent-Timbercare---Autumn-Cedar-10L/p/170588

If you want protection, use a wood preserver on the tops, and any upward-facing surfaces where rain may linger. And don't use wooden posts or gravel boards in contact with the ground.

Thanks JohnD. Yes, pity about that Wickes product being sold out.

I think from your explanations, you're saying I don't need to worry too much about deep protection for the panels. Suits me as I'm happier spending less on stain.

In my last photo showing my fence, there's concrete posts and the panels are all sitting on stone plinths. Shall I just buy the Barrettine Shed and Fence decorative treatment or the Ronseal Obe Coat for £4.88 per 5l tub?

Sponsored Links
Did mine the other week. Think I paid £12 per 12ltr drum of Ronseal one coat medium oak from B&Q. One coat really is enough. Looks a lot better when it dries than when it first goes on.

6DF3B84A-BAFC-42AB-8B92-C11AB0A8E28A.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd use whatevers cheapest, as long as it's not a "value brand" or "essentials" line from a cheap chain. They tend to be watery. The Ronseal price sounds a terrific bargain.

BTW if you go for a dark brown, you can use "bitter chocolate" or similar masonry paint on the concrete to blend it in, if you want. It needs to be darker than you might think, or it will stand out and look like painted concrete.

Mottie, I love your sculpture.
JohnD, I found this forum searching for a dark brown that would cover a pale grey fence, bitter chocolate looks exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the advice JohnD and for the link Johnny, I forgot about the BM stores. My colour of choice is Harvest Gold as I don't want it too dark. I'm looking for a shade of colour to closely match the stain on my shed which was from my Barrettine tin. Or maybe it's better to go darker?

20200420_144433.jpg 20200416_131311.jpg (neighbour on left eventually will be replacing those broken panels at bottom left).

Thanks Mottie, that looks great. Medium Oak is actually pretty nice, maybe I should go with that colour instead! Hmm, well as it really does only need one coat, that's great and has to be the one for me to go for. Less work and more economy. It's a no brainer really. My local toolstation is carrying 6 x 5l tubs of one coat medium oak, 10 litres for £9.76.

Just to clarify, the Ronseal is decorative with no real protection, right? Would you call it a paint or stain? Should I mask off the vertical concrete posts before coating? And did you do the other side of that fence?

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the Ronseal is decorative with no real protection, right? Would you call it a paint or stain? And did you do the other side of that fence?
It’s not just decorative and yes, I did the other side as that’s in my side alley. Same with the back fence as there’s an alley there too. To my right, I only did my side as my neighbour does the other. This tells you a bit more about it and there’s a handy calculator to let you know how much you need. (y)
https://www.ronseal.com/for-garden/sheds-fences/fence-paint/one-coat-fence-life/

It’s not just decorative and yes, I did the other side as that’s in my side alley. Same with the back fence as there’s an alley there too. To my right, I only did my side as my neighbour does the other. This tells you a bit more about it and there’s a handy calculator to let you know how much you need. (y)
https://www.ronseal.com/for-garden/sheds-fences/fence-paint/one-coat-fence-life/
Awesome. It says measure area height and area width. Being a bit dumb, I guess that means height of panel as area height, (let's say 5 foot) and panel width x 10 panels as area width? I put 5 foot height and 60 foot width and it says I'll need 4.65 litres. That's only
I tub! :D Don't know if their calculator is calculating for one side or both sides though.

Looking at my photo with shed, do you think medium oak is the better colour to go for?

Last edited:
the fence stains are usually a water-based emulsion that leaves a coloured, waxy film on the wood. When new, this causes water to bead up and run off instead of soaking in.

But fence panels don't easily rot, so their purpose is mostly decorative. They won't prevent permanently damp wood, such as fenceposts, from rotting.

Awesome. It says measure area height and area width. Being a bit dumb, I guess that means height of panel as area height, (let's say 5 foot) and panel width x 10 panels as area width? I put 5 foot height and 60 foot width and it says I'll need 4.65 litres. That's only
I tub! :D Don't know if their calculator is calculating for one side or both sides though.

Looking at my photo with shed, do you think medium oak is the better colour to go for?
Yes, double it if you’re doing both sides. I’d say light oak would match your shed but I think a bit of contrast looks nice too.

Yes, double it if you’re doing both sides. I’d say light oak would match your shed but I think a bit of contrast looks nice too.

Yeah. These are the 6 colours they do. I guess it's either harvest gold or medium oak.

Screenshot_20200423-172658_Opera.jpg

I had bought 2 x 5L Ronseal harvest Gold tubs and only used 1 for 7 fence panels, (one side only), the paint is ok but does not provide 100% protection, only bought cos it was cheap.

My fence were installed in 2012, bought the cheap ones from wickes but with concrete posts ,they have stood the test of time but are now showing signs of weathering and decay, they came in the original colour in yellow gold. In summer 2014 i bought cuprinol ducks back (5yer) as it was on offer and also the standard cuprinol gold colour, teh ducks back was used on my cheaper fence, the cheaper stuff on my side of neighbours fence, both came out orangey (as Trumps face). The 5yr ducks back was used to give 2 coats and it was worn only after 4 years

I can but better quality stuff and preservatives but its too much hard work, my only disappointment with teh harvest Gold/gold colours as they to not come out as gold but orange. The ronseal stuff says it will protect for 2 years, i gave my side 2 coats and will see how long it lasts.

I also saw the ones on toolstation and noted they were cheaper so will give them a try next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back