Staining an internal solid pine door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Have fitted a soild pine door and want to stain it. The stain instructions say it needs to be stained flat with all furniture removed.
I'm nervous about removing the hinges as it was a sod to fit.
Is this really necessary?

Sponsored Links
No it's not necessary if you don't mind cleaning the furniture where stain gets on it. But I don't see what the big problem is with removing the hinges- the rebate and screw holes should guide them back exactly where they came from?

Last edited:
My worry is its a possible sealing issue i.e. it wouldn't be sealed and warping etc might occur.

Stain does not usually seal... In any case it would only be the tiny areas under the hinges that would be missed, and you're not going to get warping because of that.

The advice to remove all furniture has more to do with getting an even finish, which may be tricky when you're trying to 'paint around' the furniture! And of course there's the risk of staining the furniture too.

Sponsored Links
I'm using an Osmo stain then Polyx oil, in theory, to seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back