Staining on Wall Tiles from behind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! Have tiled my bathroom with matt finish tiles on top of old glazed tiles.
Problem is damp staining from the adhesive (Cerafix) showing on the front of the tiles. I have not grouted yet to allow drying but its 4 weeks now and they don't seem to be drying out very much. I've tiled over old tiles many times before and never had this problem. Do you think this time scale is acceptable, could they still dry out in due course, or should I consider starting again!!??

Sponsored Links
Seeing as though you've already tiled, I'd be inclined to grout and forget about it for a bit. It should eventually dry out, but if after a few months it's no better, then you may consider redoing it. You might as well try it for now.

Just to let you know, they're finally drying out! Lesson to be learned here, in future I'll make the effort to remove the old ones! That's what you get when trying to cut corners.

Sponsored Links
We had a difference of opinion on here a few weeks ago, between people,(1 or 2) who said tile on top of tiles, and those (more than 1 or 2) who said remove them and start from scratch. Nobody's saying that you can't do it, but if you do and have a problem,you only notice it when it's too late. Luckily, as you said they're now drying out, it took a while but you've got there.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back