stainless braided flexi pipes to boiler why not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just bought a secondhand combi from uk to replace my old one im assured it is in excellent working order and is arriving with flue fitting wall brackets etc-- if it dont work then we stay cold

my old combi is in a purpose built brick cabinet built on to the out side of our country cottage so access s simple via double doors,

bearing in mind this is rural portugal and not easy to get pipe fittings or for that matter qualified plumbers i will fit the boiler myself then get the lpg supplyer to fit the gas connection to the boiler. for safety safety safety safety

in the 80s i replaced a coal floor mounted boiler for a gas boiler with copper years ago also fitted a gas fire then called out the gas board to connect the gas test and fire it up everything turned out ok so i reckon i have some water plumbing diy savvi

i will disconnect the electrics and gas bottles drain off the water in the boiler and remove the old boiler and cut the four water pipes leading out from the bottom of the combi abot 8 inches down

and fit the replacement in its place and run the flue out of the existing hole in the wall .

ok heres the question

i want to run 4 flexi braided stainless compression water pipes fom the cut pipes then connect them about 12 inches each straight on to the boiler water pipes , i now its best to come of the boiler using copper but is it acceptable for me to try this ,

a bit of flexibility would come in handy on this diy job as we do
get small earth quakes in portugal in fact 1755 we had a sunami which took out every city including lisbon , ok thats enough of the history lesson

yes i know it dont look pretty but im more concerned about safety rather than presentation on this job--but i promise to fix the flexi pipes so they look as a bit of care and thinking has gone in to the job.

also will it be a straight forward pipe to old pipe join up be ok

or am i missing something here--

please keep answers on a positive and helpful note as im looking for help as im a long way from uk
hance a request on the diy forum

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You are indeed up a gum tree if you think your second hand boiler from UK will be OK for use in Portugal running off LPG. I can understand a registered engineer might contemplate fitting a secondhand appliance, but what will you do if the boiler fails to work?

If you are that good with all things gas as you have done this before, why do you want to use flexi pipes with jubilee clips? Surely this type of connection is a little bit elementary DIY. Tsunami? Well if that hits your boiler, you will do well to be Billy Bronko on your LPG cylinders as flexi or no flexi, your boiler will be dead

Please do post your location so that, next time we are in Portugal, we keep well clear of your residence.

Hope above will make you see sense and you engage services of someone who knows what it is all about.

here's positive...go for it...let us know how long they last...

Will you be using the garden hose for the lpg ?

;)

if your genuine, why dont you use logs instead of lpg, as your "rural"

please keep answers on a positive and helpful note as im looking for help as im a long way from uk

Are you sure? I doubt you'll need advice from (as you say in your other post) us "jobsworth plumbers that rip people off by charging £100 to repair a burst cold main etc...."

Sponsored Links
my old combi is in a purpose built brick cabinet built on to the out side of our country cottage so access s simple via double doors
I can feel a Michael Caine/The Italian Job quote coming on....

now back to my question -replies please from the nice people in this forum who have always been so helpful in the past

the boiler from uk is a lpg combi
i am removing a lpg combi

i am using a local gas installer to conect the gas pipe to the boiler and test the boiler

simply question is could i use flexi stainless steel piping compression fittings

ok if not i will try and source some copper and do it

now is there any helpful people out there who can answer my question with a bit friendly knowledge

sorry nixt didnt mean to hit a nerve ,

but as you and me know theres lots of baddies out there , and indeed my elderly neighbour did get charged £100 to get her cold water pipe under the sink fixed

simply question is could i use flexi stainless steel piping compression fittings

Simply answer is "No" Unless you can find some that are designed for central heating.

Its a bodge job though, int it.

You know it, I know it, we all know it. :rolleyes:

thanks scattman john

ok its going to have to be copper pipe up to the replacement boiler

as i stated on my post i am concerned about safety hence the question regarding easy fix flexi hoses

for some reason the portuguese dont seem to supply combi boilers as they prefer to have the electric boiler with a tank , my home came with a combi when i bought it - it was probaly brought in from uk and not bought locally so i will try to see if i can replace it with the lpg combi boiler with full service history my friend is removing as they are now going on to mains gas.

i am comfortable plumbing in the water side if things however i will get the local lpg gas suplier to connect up the gas line and fill and fire up the boiler,- cant see why it should not fire up

many thanks for your helpful post

sorry nixt didnt mean to hit a nerve ,

but as you and me know theres lots of baddies out there , and indeed my elderly neighbour did get charged £100 to get her cold water pipe under the sink fixed

No need to apologise. Call me too liberal but we seem to have a different interpretation of a baddy.

You think it's someone who charges an elderly lady, not much more than most and less than some, for a plumbing repair.

I think it's someone who hits an elderly lady over the head and makes off with her savings tin.

a baddy is somebody who overcharges this old lady so dont try to justify this plumber who charged her £100 for a small job

a baddy is somebody who hits people over the head,even though she aint got much in the tin due to some baddy ripping her off when doing her cold water leak,

great forum this

i used copper compression fittings to the boiler no problem ,
gas guy came at 3pm and connected gas and tested boiler, we now have nice hot water following a lot of work getting air out of the system and even managed to fill a bath be it a bit slow , central heating running not that we will need it until december out here as its 27 c outside today. total cost of project to replace combi worked out at £244 that includes the cost of the secondhand lpg boiler me mate sold me for £157,----i downloaded the installation details on internet which was a great help

so a message to all fellow D I Y GUYS out there is if in doubt about a aspect of the project you intend taking on dont be afraid to ask on this forum, as its- ALWAYS SAFETY FIRST - however you need to be very thick skinned as there are some guys out there who rather than answer questions direct with a yes or no, decide that you are as thick as a plank and become very condecending even though some maybe unqualified regarding answering some questions

perhaps i was a bit ahead of my time suggesting to use flexi pipes
so perhaps the training centre will blow off thier doors then
below is a print off from the vokera training centre who use

Flexi hoses--well well so looks like i could have used them after all without blowing up portugal

Designed to accommodate any wall hung Vokera boiler, the rigs utilise a quick fit system unique to Vokera. They allow the fixing jigs which include all the service valves attached with compression fittings to be connected quickly on flexible hoses.

The boiler is then easily slotted into place and the services connected. Vokera says that a boiler can be changed in as little as 5 minutes to help the training run smoothly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back