Stainless steel soldering....

As for beggers belief, unless you have tried first only then say so.

I suppose 35 years in the Sheet metal industry counts for nothing now....Oh well.

You do not solder kettles with soft solder or electrical solder, you use silver/hard solder or you braze them.

This is done using induction brazing/soldering, or in skilled hands, a fine oxy-acetylene torch.

What you are doing, is a bodge at best.

I suppose you have investigated the Toxicity of the soft solder you are using.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps it would be easier to buy a new kettle. :eek:

As for beggers belief, unless you have tried first only then say so.

I suppose 35 years in the Sheet metal industry counts for nothing now....Oh well.

You do not solder kettles with soft solder or electrical solder, you use silver/hard solder or you braze them.

This is done using induction brazing/soldering, or in skilled hands, a fine oxy-acetylene torch.

What you are doing, is a bodge at best.

I suppose you have investigated the Toxicity of the soft solder you are using.

Oh well, what you did not know was that i have got 45 years of experience of soldering and God knows how many billions of joints I must have carried out during this almost life long job into Electronics, most of it with leaded solder, and I still drink tap water supplied through leaded pipes, millions of people darnk water through leadede pipes, and no one has died so far! however last 15 years now the new EC directives forced my industry to stop using leaded parts as well as leaded solder.

on my Kettle I used 60Watts iron, a professional Weller temeprature controlled iron that comes no cheaper than about £250.00 with its soldering station, so it is no ordinary hobby quality 15watt iron that wouldn't even melt butter!

So the solder I used is tin silver based, and believe me the spout was soldered with such a tiny amount of solder so as to preserve looks rather than a beefy soldered joint, hence why it developed a leak in the first place, in other words it was soldered inadequately, now that I have run my own layer of solder and far more beefier, it would now probably last longer than its element life. I also used a beefier tip to transfer maximum heat and there was no problem with solder melting and flowing except if I had the right flux it would have done a lot better job. However the good news is my kettle has stopped leaking altogether! good fix, better than I would have used a bit of silicone sealant to stop this nuisance leak, that made my kettle look terrible with hard water deposit line running from the leak to all the way to the bottom!

However, prior to this, I always assumed that stainless steel could not be soldered, and I swear I would never have even tried, until I realised how this spout was joined, it certainly was not brased on.

Sponsored Links
. However the good news is my kettle has stopped leaking altogether!

Yes, but come on, Mike, just emptying the water out is not really a fix, is it? ;) ;)
I bet when you put some water back in, it starts leaking again. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back