stains above!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old tongue and groove ceiling in the kitchen. As its been stained and varnished a dark brown, we want to lighten it up. Someone has said that if we just paint over, even with undercoat first, the varnish/stain will eventually discolour the paint.

The wood has a bit of profile, so it wouldn't be that easy to rub down or strip. Can we paint directly, or do we need to put something on first. If so, what :?:

Comments welcome.

Sponsored Links
I have exactly the same problem. No one seems to have replied to your post.

Did you find a way of doing it :?:

A friend of mine who is a painter/decorater wrote this for you.(If you can understand it!!)

You can buy Heavy Duty Sealing Primer which is a solvent based, heavy duty waterproof sealing primer for especially difficult and stubborn stains.If you want to removes the dark stain, bleach out the stain using proprietary wood bleach, hydrogen peroxide or a solution of 15m1 (1 tablespoon) of oxalic acid in 600ml water. Wear rubber gloves. These treatments will also lighten the surrounding wood, so either bleach the whole surface or restore the original colour with wood stains.

Also found a website might be able to help you.
http://oil-spill-pollution-control-degreasing-bioremediation.co.uk/ocbp/products/hegstrip.asp

'Ianm' & 'masona' - nope, I haven't found anything yet, other than the advice from 'masona' below. I think I understand it. I presume that the first primer mentioned, is just used to cover the wood with first. Thats what we need, so I'll try and source some. Many thanks for your advice.

If 'ianm' tries this, please let me know how it goes, plus what primer you used.

Many thanks again
Rolyan

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back