Stains appearing above knots on gloss paintwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, I've just rubbed down the paintwork where stains. were appearing on fairly new skirting board and they are on knots in the wood. The skirting was initially primed and undercoated etc, but stains are appearing. What is the best form of treatment please, before I paint again. Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The blurb on the back of tin will tell you to wash your brushes out in meths. Don't. All it does is dilute the BIN paint. A better option is to buy some household ammonia. It is alkaline and dissolves the paint. I cut up a plastic milk bottle, pour a little ammonia in, agitate the brush and rinse in the sink. If the brush has gone hard, I leave it in the ammonia over night. Because of the smell I leave the ammonia tub outside. In the morning the ammonia has evaporated off and I am left with water and dust at the bottom of the container which can be poured down the sink.

BTW BIN is available in spray tins if that makes life easier. The nozzle does tend to clog a lot so use a cloth dipped in meths or alcohol to clean it periodically.

The blurb on the back of tin will tell you to wash your brushes out in meths. Don't. All it does is dilute the BIN paint. A better option is to buy some household ammonia. It is alkaline and dissolves the paint. I cut up a plastic milk bottle, pour a little ammonia in, agitate the brush and rinse in the sink. If the brush has gone hard, I leave it in the ammonia over night. Because of the smell I leave the ammonia tub outside. In the morning the ammonia has evaporated off and I am left with water and dust at the bottom of the container which can be poured down the sink.

BTW BIN is available in spray tins if that makes life easier. The nozzle does tend to clog a lot so use a cloth dipped in meths or alcohol to clean it periodically.

What I found was after using Zinseer, I just carry on with the same brush with water based primers and undercoat without washing the brush out. Then when you're finished painting, just wash the brush out in water.

Thanks all for the useful information. After sanding off the paint at the knot sites, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Zinsser B-I-N paint treatment was 'white' (for some reason I expected it to be a Brown solution) and it was great to apply. Again, Many Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back