Stair cracks in brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have knocked off all the plaster in the first floor back bedroom of my Victorian semi, to reveal a couple of runs of stair cracks where the bricks have shifted. Obviously these could have been there for decades, so I'm not sure it's anything to worry about.

As to ground conditions, the cellar is quite damp at the back of the house, and our smallish back garden is hemmed in by walls (retaining wall at the back, so not much natural drainage). Garden gets soggy/spongey in the rain.

I thought cracking walls indicated ground that was too dry and was associated with tree roots? My problem seems to be that, despite the large sycamore tree 8-10m from the back of the house, the garden gets too wet.

I was thinking of digging drainage pipes into the garden anyway, but I don't want to make things worse.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I think what woody means is there could be factors such as roof spread at work... or movement caused by building work... or just plain old settlement from when the house was built.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back