Staircase and Newel post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I havent had a great repsonse with a similar post so I have created a new one and added some pics to illustrate the project

Im installing new landing balustrading, been looking at the richardburbidge system but I also want to want to replace the old wood on the wall and landing edging,illustrated as A and B in the picture.

Anyone know if this is possible, if so how, (from looking at it they looked nailed in place) and what i need to ask for at the timber merchant so I dont loook like a plank, no pun intended and any dos or donts?

Also the other picture is of the newel post in place which needs to be replaced or extended as its too short when the turning is placed ontop as the handrail wont meet the 900mm height, any suggestions also?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
hmmm, can you have a look under the stairs and see if the bottom of that newel post is visible? It might be an involved job to get at, meaning lifting stair treads and all sorts. :confused:

I have had a look under the stairs but its been plastered in, can i extend the newel post somehow?

Also is it easy to replace the wood on the ladning?

if its not possible to replace the newel you could try a small addition piece but i would think you would need a decent sized dowel and some good glue,cant see how else you can do it

Sponsored Links
pennelldj said:
I have had a look under the stairs but its been plastered in, can i extend the newel post somehow?

one way to extend a newel is to quarter it

looks like youve got enough to do it

draw a cross on the top extend the line down to within an inch of the floor
take out diagonaly opposite "squares" DO NOT just saw across the lines on both parts you will finnish up with a loose fit
the way youll have to do it is saw waste side off the the line [mark the waste by covering in hatched line]cutting the top and side at the same time stopping on the lines top and side
do this four times on top then on the base line where the overlap will stop[near the floor]again cutting diagonaly on the waste side off the corner repeat on diagonaly opposite corners
you will have to remove the wood into the corner by chisel

at this stage check and adjust the lines on the new newel to fit in with any "mistakes" ;) youve made on the base
cut out the opposite diagonals to fit [wont make any difference if both are square and without any holes or tennons fitted]
glue and screw in all four faces [diagonaly but within the half]top and bottom

thanks for the last suggestion, im a complete novice is this something i could tasckle? do u have an illustration of how it works as i cant picture it.
one way i was to try was using u large dowel running through the base and new newel post, would this be sufficent?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back