Staircase questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a stair case in the houe 3.6m long, 12 steps. (each step roughly 24cms)
How many newels would i need?

The newels im thinking are oak (£6.50 a pop) and are roughly 1" square (in fact could be slightly bigger)

Someone said 2.5 per foot (guy in the shop) and someone else has said 4 per foot (joiner guy i know)

Looking to see how many (and how much £'s) its going to cost.

If its too expensive shall use black metal designs (£1.50 a pop)
thanks
in advance
nick

Sponsored Links
ok maximum gap less than 100mm[so a sphere 100mm cant pass through]
25mm cut at an angle =30mm plus98mm =128mm
3600mm div by 128 = 28.125

28 x 30=840

3600 -840= 2760 divided by 29 = 95.17[extra spacer]

the actual gap between will actualy be smaller as the spacer is at an angle so the actual gap is likly to be nearer 85mm

if you need more acurate nos i need the angle but youll only save 2 or 3 spindles

I think i got it !

From the caculations your talking about 95 newels =

I take it the 100mm gap is a requirement/law ?

nickcardwell said:
I think i got it !

From the caculations your talking about 95 newels =

I take it the 100mm gap is a requirement/law ?

no sorry 28 [the 95 is the gap]

spindle at an angle 30 plus 95 space between = 125
3600 div by 125 = 28

so 28 spindles but maybe less depends on angle

newels are the heavy posts at the end that the handrail attaches to ;)

and yes its the regs "a sphere of 100mm must not pass through any part of the stairs or banisters" that includes any gaps between the stairs

Sponsored Links
brilliant thanks big al,

was saying to the g/f that i need about 90 odd, and then looked at the stairs and thought em.. somethings wrong there!

i must have got it down wrong!

at 90 spindles that would be about half an inch between them :LOL:

do you know what the angle is!!!!
at about 37 degrees you save about 20 percent of the spindle

take a sheet of A4 paper corner to corner its ironicly 3600mm thats the length of your string
measure bottom edge its 2950 this is the measure that you need to take your 95s and 25s from

so in this example 95[space]+25[spindle]=120
2950 div by 120 =24.5 so round up to 25
25 x 25 =625
2950 -625= 2325

2325 div by 25 plus 1 extra space[er] =26
2325 div by 26 =89.5mm spacings between 25 spindles

you could in actual fact on this example reduce the spindles and spaces by one and that would give you a spacing of 94mm
but you have to keep in mind if you happen to have a reduction of the spindle at that point of 7mm[because of molding /turning]your sphere would pass through[unless he has an old imperial one 4" = 101.6mm ;) ]

should add its the visible part off the string you need to measure the bit between the newels

get a plumb line a bit off string and a nut will do [make shure it dosnt rest on any thing and give you a false reading ;) ] to transfer the mark to the floor
then measure the distance along the floor to the other newel post

nickcardwell

do you mean spindles not newels ? i asume you mean spindles which should be no more than 100 mm apart, infact less than 100mm

forgot to mention if your using spacers they will be about 20 percent longer than the required gap because its at an angle
youll have to cut 2 spindles to the correct angle hold them the distance appart you decide then you need to be mark the gap between them on the string cap[top of base of stairs]and thats your spacers measurment

Yes sorry spindles

as for me doing it, no chance! Shall be getting in a joiner to do the work (i think i would make an expensive mistake doing it!)

thanks again
nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back