Staircase Refurb - undersized newels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping for some advice on rejuvenating my staircase.
I'm looking to get some white oak spindles, newel posts etc from either Richard Burbridge or Jackson Woodturners and the main issue I forsee is the fact the new newels will be 90mm whereas the existing newels are 70mm.

What's the best way of building out the base to get the extra width?

I think i've got two options either:
a) Pack out 20mm on two sides and drill into the centre but this will be exactly on the edge of the existing newel.
b) Pack out 10mm on all the sides and drill into the centre of the existing newel.

I'm planning on varnishing the oak rather than painting it so I need it to look as tip top as possible. Does anyone have any better ideas / thoughts of how to do this.

Also as you can see in some of the pics the nosing on the side of some of the treads is missing. Any ideas where I can new nosing - google hasn't proved very helpful.

Lastly, i was going to dowel the spindles into place. I was thinking of getting [url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-B4645-Wood-Dowel-Kit/dp/B0001P19Q8 [/url] to help but it is only suitable for 30mm - the spindles are 32mm. Any suggestions on tools / tips to do the dowels?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it has to be central to line up with the base rail
otherwise the spindles will be at an angle

So am I best to start at the top of the stairs and set my half newel post and base against the wall.
Run my base rail so the centre aligns with the half newl then fit my newels based on that? The base rails are 61mm wide so there will be a approx 15mm gap between the edge of the landing the base rail. Should I keep this white or am I best sanding it back to wood?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So am I best to start at the top of the stairs and set my half newel post and base against the wall.
Run my base rail so the centre aligns with the half newl then fit my newels based on that? The base rails are 61mm wide so there will be a approx 15mm gap between the edge of the landing the base rail. Should I keep this white or am I best sanding it back to wood?

Thanks

you need to work out how the system will work
keeping in mind the center line off the newel and handrail must match the base rail or string cap
so how ever you can achieve this easiest way and with the tools you have is the way to go
yes sand to wood for best gluing surface

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back