Staircase replacement with a right turn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To increase the size of the bathroom we want to look at if its possible to change the stairs so we can remodel upstairs of a house we are buying.
As you can you from the photos its goes straight up. but we want to change this so the stairs turn right (to the right of the top of the banister, do people think this would be possible?
153371_426388_IMG_02_0000.jpeg

54329_11995769_IMG_23_0000.jpeg

Sponsored Links
A stair with a kite winder at the top is possible, however AFAIK this is notifiable work (local council Building Control) and as it isn't a like for like replacement the new stairs must conform to current regulations as regards going, width, handrails, etc

A stair with a kite winder at the top is possible, however AFAIK this is notifiable work (local council Building Control) and as it isn't a like for like replacement the new stairs must conform to current regulations as regards going, width, handrails, etc
Thanks I won't of course be doing the work myself so would engage a builder/carpenter to do it and ensure any works are correctly notified. I guess it's knowing if this work is possible then it makes doing the bathroom easier

You would have to compromise headroom in the downstairs hall, right? Unless you block off the hall completely and put a doorway in that wall visible through the doorway on the right.

Sponsored Links
Depends where it changes angle, as mentioned having winders would help, it's also about it looking a bit pants/pokey as you walk down the hallway, in principle it'd be like this but you'd be walking under the stair, unless you changed the layout downstairs to suit but all getting very expensive .....

stair2.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back