Staircase Steel Stringers Guarantee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have ordered steel stringers for a staircase. They will go under the treads. The guarantee ( by email) I have received from the manufacturers, who will also install, is as follows -

The Guarantees are for

"All Fabrications and workman Ship are done to the Highest Standards meeting all industry Standards and complying with Building Controls Standards for Staircase and Steel fabrications

The install of the Staircase will be Completed by Our trained Engineers making sure all works are completed to the Building Controls Standards

These works will have a full Guarantees for the life of the Staircase as long as it is maintained to industry minimum Standards witch can be found on building controls fact Sheet"

It seems rather vague to me and where do I find this information on guarantees in the Building Control Fact Sheets ?

I asked for specific guarantees on quality of manufacture and installation. Are they covered by the last paragraph - ie lifetime and what does that mean ?

Sponsored Links
Clean and paint it every so often and you get a lifetime guarantee (or untill the boss winds the company up) whichever is sooner

Reference to a Building Control factsheet is meaningless. Is that this year's, last year's or next year's fact sheet?
Your rights under contract/common law will give you at least six years possibly 10 on the quality of manufacture and installation - without any paperwork.

You don't need a load of fancy T&C's. That firm is guaranteeing it, and they've said that, so that's that. You dont need details of the welds or bolt sheer capacities.

Most likely fold it up. It took me six weeks to get the drawings and another two weeks to get them to even put this in writing. So far I have also been waiting month for an installation date. They insist on phone calls I insist on emails The boss (the father) is ill and it looks likes the son wants to sell the land for the usual luxury development if the father doesnt survive so doesnt give a ****. He is being carried by the guys in the yard. Thats why I dont trust him. Seems like any guarantee would be meanngless anyway Thanks

Well, if as you say the guys are carrying the firm, they are the ones who will be doing the work, so that would be good sign.

If you think it's too much of a risk then you should look elsewhere. If you want more assurance of guarantees, then always look for an "insurance backed" warranty, as these will prevail if the company goes bust. Will cost you more for the job, so its a case of weighing things up.

I'm not sure what can go wrong with a steel stringers that you wont see right after the job is done and before you make final payment. If possible you could pay some on credit card and get protection via that.

Sponsored Links
Not so much the stringers themselves but the installation They will be embedded in concrete under the floorboards at the base and bolted to wall at the top. Again I am relying on the guys doing the work rather than the p**** sitting in the office.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back