Stairs Lighting Issues

there's something amiss there.. there should be more than just one T+E at the light..

at a guess there's a JB somewhere in the loft or under a floorboard..

Sponsored Links
That's all that was here when we moved in, no extra bits lol I doubt there is anything in the loft as if there was I'd expect a landing light ?

It is possible to use the rose as a junction box or add a junction box at a convenient point
Alt-two-way-wiring.bmp
This shows one way to wire with a JB and although nothing wrong with system to work out what is what remote from the job would be hard.

If we assume that the diagram there is our setup. Is the issue with a switch rather than the wiring?

Sponsored Links
The problem i think is with the R and B which goes from switch to switch for the 2 way, either not connected good, open circuit on one core,
power off and Check continuity with a multimeter

or maybe a faulty switch.
power off and Remove both and check switching operations with a multimeter

One grey is a switchline the other grey is the feed i would assume.
As in drawing one.

The light is Possibly via an unlocated joint somewhere, the light wires and the greys appear ok as the light goes on and off .
It is the two way switching bit , that is giving you problems.

right il have a look when i get in from work today, don't get as long to look as it seems to get dark up here quiet early now especially with the weather...

Thanks for all the comments and help, il let you know the results or if i need any more help (im sure i will)

go buy a new cheap switch..
change it for one of the existing switches and see if it works properly.. if it does then the switch was knackered..
if it doesn't, put the original switch back and swap the other one for the new one..

if it doesn't work with either switch swapped, buy another new one and try swapping BOTH of them..

AHHHHH looks like it was the switch that was originally left intact upstairs...it was a very old thing took it out swapped with new and its working fine now, so i can turn it off or on upstairs or down...now to sort the missing landing light :s

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back