Stairs stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Attached a pic of my staircase but basically it's a straight staircase with storage built in underneath (new build house, was there when I moved in and is all plasterboarded).

I would like to close off the staircase by removing the banister/spindles and replacing this with a stud wall. Is this possible? Not sure about the terminology but I'm guessing the spindles sit on this sort of half wall and the white bit looks like some skirting... How would I go about doing this project? Would I just remove the skirting/banister and build on top of whatever is underneath currently? Or would it all need to be removed and rebuilt? Thanks

Attachments

• 20191125_010136.jpg
    20191125_010136.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 542
Sponsored Links
Would I just remove the skirting/banister and build on top of whatever is underneath currently? Or would it all need to be removed and rebuilt? Thanks

A stud wall would be positioned abutting the stringer with the plasterboard either abutting the stringer or resting upon it - depending on room. I'd also fill out some of the studs gaps with ply, prior to plaster boarding, so that a hand rail could be fixed with ease.

There would be no longer the need for the newel or the spindles/handrail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back