Stalling at low revs when cold....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My girlfriend bought an immaculate 55 plate Peugeot 207 with only 50k miles! Its a lovely car and she is over the moon with it. However it has a couple of issued I need to try and sort out.

The main one is the car stalls when she first starts it up. She can stop it from stalling by revving it. Its not started struggling slightly on occasion after idling for a long time at a junction etc so needs sorting out.

Id like to try and eliminate all the cheap easy stuff first by having a tinker with it in my spare time.

Can anyone suggest some things I might be able to try?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Petrol engine presumably? Have the idle control valve checked out, and whilst in that area, do check any small rubber air pipes for perishing or disconnection from the throttle body area.
John :)

Thanks, John. Il check that tonight. It is indeed petrol. I think its the 8v variant which is also fitted to the 206. The Idle control valve does appear to be a common issue on these engines. If its not expensive Il just buy a new one. Was also thinking of a fuel filter as a matter of course.

Its interesting that you mentioned air pipes because the car has another problem which could be related? (I'm no mechanic as you can probably tell!). When the hot/cold air fan is on there is a slight smell of exhaust (presumably?) Fumes coming into the car. I personally can't smell it but my girlfriend who is in the car for extended periods of time says it bothers her.

Any other ideas of things I can check would be greatly appreciated. Im looking especially for anyone with experience of these particular engines who may know of common faults.

Cheers.

There's no way exhaust should ever enter the car, John......just to test the integrity of the exhaust system, place your palm over the tail pipe and you'll hear any gas escape.
The pong could be coming from the air conditioning system if it has one......replace the pollen filter and deodorisers are available. This smell is more 'organic' though.
I'm only familiar with the 1.1 engine variant on these....gear linkage aside, its a pleasant enough unit.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, John. Il try covering the exhaust tonight and listen in the engine bay for leaks. The cat doesn't have air con, its the very basic blower with a slide to control hot/cold. I have a later allure model with the air con and its a totally different set up. Her's looks really old fashioned in comparison.

Thanks again.

Back