standby ring main to save money at night?

Why not just turn the telly off at the switch instead of the remote?

How's your sky plus going to record stuff if it's off?

Wonder how much mains smoke alarms use in standby?

Sponsored Links
(before you ask.... - I could not measure any phase angle distortions and hence all quoted powers here are quoted in apparent power (VA) - it could have been kidding me about the true power, but then why would a microwave in standy be distorting the PF so much?, its not running and hence should not have presented a large inductive load)

It is clear from this quote that you do indeed have some idea of what your talking about! Unfortunatly BAS is a 'bit' arrogant when it comes to new users asking questions sometimes. I must admit when I first read your original post I kind of had the same thoughts as BAS about "should you really be doing this work". Unfortunatly his big headedness gets in the way too often... :confused:

Not really.

The OP seemed to be not upto the work so BAS told him.

Would you rather he just ignored this and encouraged the OP to undertake work outside his perceived ability?

Sponsored Links
Hi Fellas,

Interesting debate. Of course you right, I should just turn the sockets off, but fundamentally I am lazy

I guess its also quite hard to figure out what level of experience people have, and to some extent your right about some of the posting, its 20 years since I was a doing this to earn a living and stuff has moved on, and with this stuff we all know its better to be safe that sorry. But arrogance really does yank my chain, I prefer a more constructive approach.

I don't think its about encouraging or discourage, I think its about constuctive suggestion and debate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back