Starlings in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all hope everyone is well and had a good xmas.

Not sure if this is in right place (please relocate mods if it isn't).

Basically, as the title suggests we have a family of these whom have nested in the very corner box section of the eaves on our bedroom side.

It's inaccessible from the loft space having been up to inspect. The mother is quite terrotorial and obviously protective so I don't want to get too close.

I totally understand for a bird a roofspace makes an ideal home but the loft has recently been newly insulated and the sight of fresh bird **** is really grinding my gears. Not to mention the random scratching and scuttling sounds from the Juveniles in the early hours. This has been going on weeks now.

My thinking is to wait until they leave (will they?) and then look at all possible entry routes and block off.

The tiles are not the grooved type so I'm not exactly sure how they've got in. What I do know is as the house is circa 1960's they'll prolly be no tile combs or bird blockers etc.

I don't want to harm them or destroy the nest but I've little choice but to stop them returning.

What would one recommend as a cost effective deterrant?

I do have some spare barbed wire but is this an inhumane way to keep birds out? My thinking along these lines was to cut it into lengths and coil it in the channels in the eaves as the birds can obviously run amok in the loft and make mess where suits.

I certainly don't want to if I can avoid it of course, start dismantling roof tiles to retrofit blocks/combs.

Also, should I consider siting a bird box nearby to offer them alternative accomodation as I know they'll return.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that you've young uns in the nest? As starlings tend to roost together in the winter and I would guess it's the wrong time to have offspring. You may also be lucky and have starlings that have come from overseas for the winter, meaning that, weather permitted, they will fly off come Feb/March. Don't know if you've ever noticed, we get more starlings in the winter here. I don't get any starlings in my garden in the summer, just mobs of them in the winter.

You could wait to see if they leave before making your loft secure, but that's up to you. Looking at this, you're supposed to leave nests along until the birds leave. It does suggest offering a nesting box nearby, so perhaps your suggestion will help?

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w.../ask-an-expert/previous/movestarlingnest.aspx

edit:
https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w...-the-roof/how-to-stop-birds-nesting-in-roofs/
Starlings are red listed birds too, so if you can wait, you may well be helping their numbers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems the wrong time of year for birds to nest but if they are and they have chicks, you should see them coming and going with food quite regularly and will easily see their access point. Are you sure it’s not squirrels or rats scratching around up there?

Be kind this time of year. Give them notice that when it gets warmer they have to leave Around March

Sponsored Links
I can sympathise with the OP if he does have starlings nesting. We had them about 10 years ago and they built their nests in the space between the roof tiles and underfelt. What’s more, we would hear them running back and forth in the eaves box. They actually split the underfelt with the mass of nest material rammed between the felt and tiles and we had to have the tiles removed and the roof was reflected. The roofer fitted a type of upside down brush under the edge tiles that completely stopped them returning.

It's definetly starlings as I went up and looked. The Juveniles are a greyish colour (4 in total).

Mother has that distinct pattern (winter plumage with strikingly white spots) so unless I'm well off the mark with recognising species, it's them.

I have an update as well. Spoken to neighbour regards my situation and they did mention the previous owners complaining of bird infestations. No idea why they never got it sorted so guess it's up to me.

Could it be these are returning as they like familiarity?

They've picked a right bugger of a spot.

I will try my damdest to be kind but please understand I am going to have to physically pick all the droppings up from thetinsulation and painstakingly look at every inch of the roof/loft and seal up access points.

Thanks for the suggestions on bird boxes. I will try to do my bit for nature.

There is a chance that more birds could come to nest and quite possibly, at a different location

What’s more, we would hear them running back and forth in the eaves box.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean 100%. We thought it was the birds running on the actual roof but it's too loud for that. The box section contains the blown off/overfill beading as well from cavity wall insulation so I'm just hoping they don't wreck it.

I hope they don't damage my roof tiles it'll only add to the ones at the back that require replacing.

Is there a way you can block them off from the inside of your roof and leave them a small bit of space? Just leave the nest there until they've grown. Just looked up how long it is before they grow and leave the nest and it's only 5 weeks in total. Sounds like you've only a couple more to go if they're already fledglings and you've seen them. Be a shame to kill birds that are on the red list, and looking at what I read yesterday, it's illegal.

I'm fully aware of the fact it is illegal to move, destroy or interfere with a live nest hence not wanting to go near it.

With regard to 'blocking them in' so to speak, I'm not sure how effective this approach will be. Basically, they've the entire run of the eaves boxing section (all 30ft of it to be exact).

Therefore, I'd have to try to block every single channel as only doing the corner will just encouragd them to find another exit. I'll admit they're clever little buggers.

As you said, I'm going to have to ride this one out and wait till they depart. It's only then I can properly investigate.

I'm still a bit reluctant to go down the barbed wire route. I've no idea if they could injure themselves and it does look a bit wrong shoving that up the side of the roof in all honesty.

Sponsored Links
Back