Starter motor noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi when I switch on the ignition the car starts but some times there is a noise for a few seconds then it stops,(best described as if a screwdriver was dragged across an iron railing) Sounds like the starter motor. The garage I use is away on holiday until next week. Want to know if it is the starter motor will it last until my garage is open again?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's on its way out , a trick to free it is to hit it with an hammer when it won't play , that should get through till next week

If not there's always shanks pony!

is it a high pitched grinding squeal sort of noise? if so then the bendix is sticking when engaged, requires a new starter

On the pre engaged starter, the drive gear is pushed along a splined shaft to engage with the ring gear, and then (hopefully) it starts spinning. Low battery energy can cause the drive pinion to disengage prematurely which causes a click when it tries to engage again.
With the bendix type, the inertia of the motor spinning shoots the starter pinion into the ring gear - which is hardly sympathetic!
I guess you've checked all of the wire connections, and you are happy that your battery is good?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, not sure which type it is, just hoping that it carries on until my usual mechanic returns from his hols, as it's a merc c class not wanting to be ripped off going to a Mercedes garage unless I have to. As I said it doesn't make the noise every time I start it up.Thanks for taking the time to give me advice.

Your car has definitely a pre engaged starter - the inertia types haven’t been around for ages.
Make sure you’re sitting down if you need a genuine Merc starter:eek:
John :)

Back