BMW Z3 Starter Motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My BMW Z3 won't start. It's always had problems with the battery running flat because I tend to leave it for weeks at a time without using it. I have a battery charger unit which I use to deal with this. But this time I can see using a voltmeter that there's enough charge in the battery, and the lights all come on OK. But it still won't start. Everyone says that it's probably the starter motor. But the user manual doesn't even mention a starter motor, and I don't even know where to find the starter motor or what it looks like if I were to do something to try and fix it.

Can I try to sort this out myself or is it better to get a garage to collect the car and look at the problem?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't mean this disrespecfully... But if you're not sure how to find the starter you're probably better giving it to a garage.

A starter motor takes a huge amount of current from a battery......so much in fact that it is very difficult to measure .
Take the car to a motor factor.......they will happily check the battery condition for you, and be even happier to sell you a new one if it's needed. They can also check the condition of the alternator (to some degree) at the same time.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back