Starting out as a wood flooring fitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m considering going into business as a wood floor fitter and wondered if anyone knows whether many/ any people buy flooring and then try and find a fitter or are all fitters contracted through flooring retailers?

The idea was to develop a website and try and drum up business that way, but if everyone who buys flooring gets their fitter through the flooring retailer is there any point?

How open are flooring retailers to taking on new fitters?

Any info/advice appreciated , Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I’m considering going into business as a wood floor fitter and wondered if anyone knows whether many/ any people buy flooring and then try and find a fitter or are all fitters contracted through flooring retailers?

The idea was to develop a website and try and drum up business that way, but if everyone who buys flooring gets their fitter through the flooring retailer is there any point?

Any info/advice appreciated , Cheers

I get to fit quite a bit of flooring for people who buy from Focus etc.

But I could never make a living out of it.

If i were you go for it but truth be known i stopped cos its bloody hard on the knees ! :cry:
Retailers/Local advertising

You could of course start by calling them and offering your services. Make sure you have a decent port-folio to show - the ones that call us always promise to post/email this but never get round to it (and they won't be hired). Don't call us though, we don't subcontract I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
I read an article in the "homes" section of a national newspaper recently which said that wooden floors are not as popular as they used to be and more people are fitting carpets.

My dad has been a self employed wood flooring fitter for the last 8 years and has never advertised, living solely off word of mouth work. Hes not rolling in it but has managed to support a family of 5 and mortgage and build up solid base of repeat customers and customer recommendations. Ganted he does other joinery work (fitting doors, skirting, door architrives, and has produced a couple of bits of furniture,) but he tries to concentrate on hardwood flooring. im at college doing plumbing and also carpentry. Iam hoping to join my dad fitting floors hoping to offer a wider skill base. Another fitter i know trained in america and says its huge over there, and also apparently a lot on interest in europe,(eg. sweden ). I believe 'floors to go' can hand out your cards with sales. I believe Smee timber are a popular supplier

Mattchip is right, takes its tole on knees and back

handwood flooring can look great, last longer than carpet and with increasing interest in UFH surely will make it more popular.

Hope this has been a bit of supportive advice, Good luck! [/i][/quote]

If i were you go for it but truth be known i stopped cos its bloody hard on the knees ! :cry:
Retailers/Local advertising

I did it for a solid year before I got my opportunity to train as a Gas Fitter. I was better off then, it paid better than any year I have had since. this is primarily because of the lack of state interference and minimal equipment requirement. You can do it all with a handsaw and jiggsaw, but if you wabnt to push the boat pout you can get a fein, a pull through mitre saw, and a nail gin, though these are purely luxury.

But after the year in which I was pretty well kept busy every day, my knees were absolutely wrecked. Now my knees are absolutely fine. Ga work though bad for the knees is much better for them than wooden and laminate flooring, since during that work you get up and down so often. As my Osteopath said "you are wearing out the hinge joint before it has a chance to recover".

If I were to go back to it I would make something I could glide from one end of the run to the other so stay on same level and avoid wearing out the hinge, and I would tie my tools to long bungees so I could pull them to me instead of geting up to go and get them. this might sound extreme, but just you wait! One years time you will know why.

I got all my work from an advert in the local paper. Beyond that I was recommended, and once you get into a house with those skills they generally give you quite a lot of other work and you find it hard to get away in the end. Work generates work.

Those were the days.

Sponsored Links
Back