Unhappy with my oak flooring fitter

Well it looks like I may have been wrong about the glue residue on the floor joints. It appears to be a concentration of oil which will have been applied at the factory. It shine seems to be on the edge of every piece of oak even the bits that haven't been laid. Therefore, it can't be glue, so I can only assume it is a concentration pre applied oil. Some bits have dull and shiny stripes across the full width of the piece which again suggest a concentration of oil.

Is this a common occurence? Will a fresh application of oil across the whole floor likely fix the shiny joint problem which currently looks awful?

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Is this a common occurence? Will a fresh application of oil across the whole floor likely fix the shiny joint problem which currently looks awful?

Many thanks :)
No it isn't. Well, not with our products and we sell more pre-oiled floors than unfinished or pre-lacquered.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that :(

Have you ever used Trip Trap maintenance oil? Thats what I've been given to treat the floor but I'm unsure as to whether this is the best solution for the job (as I don't trust the supplier anymore). But 'apparantly' the trip trap oil is recommended by the floor manufacturer.

I tried it on an offcut and it does appear to blend in with the shiny edges, it seems to look nice but takes away the natural look of the wood.

What a farce!

Trip Trap is a good company with proper products. Maintenance oil however is only used after say 1 year of heavy traffic.
I would wait a while to see how the oil you applied on the off-cut cures.

any pictures of the floor by any chance?

Sponsored Links
Good good. Well, it defnitely needs something applying to the floor as at the moment it looks dull, the shiny edges look terrible and some planks have stripes on them.

Don't get me wrong though, it looks to be a lovely natural product with lots of plank variation and lots of nice knots. It probably just needs some TLC.

I'll take some pictures when I'm up there tonight.

Seems wrong to have to apply something to a new product that is supposed to come pre oiled, but it certainly isn't looking too good at the moment.

It does happen that a pre-oiled floor shows some dull areas (specially also if the boards you have just came from the factory). What we normally do then is treat it with a wax-polish, not maintenance oil (= OTT)

What kind of striped? Like 'scuff-marks'?

Hi. I wouldn't say scuff marks, they are perfect lines. They look more like lines of oil. If you imagine the planks running through a machine spraying oil on them and the spray gun stops and starts. Not sure if that makes sense but the effect reminds me exactly of when we used to run mdf through a glue machine when making kitchen doors. Again, I'll probably need a picture to show what I mean.

I expected to now use some form of hard wax oil but I don't think that will resolve the shiny edges.

Applying a new coat (second coat) of HWO is not recommended without having to sand the floor first! Sorry.

IMHO - but still hoping to see some pictures - you've been sold a second grade floor.

:eek: I don't like the sound of that. What exactly is a second grade floor and what are the usual signs of such a floor? I'll get some pics asap.

FYI, the make of the flooring is known as Natures Own. But after opening the box there is a leaflet from Carpet Line.

Second grade product: with manufacturers errors. Like splits, machine marks, oil drips etc.
Those products sold for less to large companies (or online) because self-respecting traders (respecting their products, their clients etc) won't touch them.

Makes you wonder why wooden floors get a bad name :confused:

Shocked to say the least!

If I were you I would demand the supplier to come and have a look straight away. This is really unacceptable for any standard (and I'm not talking about the pattern they installed in your floor with the joins).

I am really appalled and very sorry for you. They sold you this as Oak floorboards pre-oiled?

:(

So its not just me then that noticed the dodgy pattern that has been created. Shouldn't it a more continuous staggered effect?

Yep, this is sold as a pre brushed and oiled product.

I really don't know what to do. The installer was a doofus so I don't want him back in the house to make any corrections. Part of me wants to rip it all up and give it back but that would be a nightmare job. But I hate it with a passion when something isn't done to a standard beyond my my own skill level when I've paid good money for it.

The supplier will lie through his teeth now but I have the power in that I haven't paid a penny yet.

In your opinion, is it second grade?

Many thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back