Steaming wallpaper off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Finally finished steaming of the wallpaper and border in my sons room down to the paint below but in places some of the paint has melted of down to the bare wall.

What is my next step ? i presume i need to use suger soap to remove all traces of wallpaper paste but do i need to do something about the bare walls or will a good undercoating take care of it ?

cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
R u going to paint it or re-paper?
if painting it wash down with some fary liquid and water to remove as much paste as possible rub down and coat with matt emulsion this should show up any ipuritys on the wall and rub them out and coat again , hope this helps

Bit late now. But for future reference;if you intend to paint after stripping wallpaper its saves a lot of time. if you clean the wall as you go.. Ie strip about 3 lenghts then soak the area you just stripped, scrape over with a broad scraper the gunge that collects on the scraper i wipe on a piece of just stripped paper..then sponge over with cold water..... the point I'm trying to get across is that now you stripped walls and left them to dry out you got a lot of work now to get them wet enough to clean paste off..

I try to avoid steamers... they have their use. But generally i find wetting with a large brush several times and goin for a fag while the paper soaks the paper usually falls off on its own...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back