Steel and joists

You would normally fix a trimmer piece from the last full joist into the wall, which then collects the end of the cut joist. You would then fix a short piece back into the steel beam web.

You can supplement the joist support by using sleeve anchors to fix it to the wall.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use a thunder bolt with resin,

I would drill hole, stick in a bolt/threaded rod, wait till the resin goes off and stick on a nut and washer,

Sticking a thunder bolt into wet resin won't do nothing.

Garbage.
A thunder bolt hold' s because of the friction between the spirals and the aggregates.
When the aggregates are porous or void then any addition applied via chemical application or otherwise to help increase the density of the substrate will automatically increase the holding force.

There's nothing garbage with what I said,

I havnt tried to use resin with thunder bolts, I would also use resin bolts or threaded rod aswel because you can tighten then up with the nut.

You maybe use it for something totally different than me tho but not here to argue was only there to put in input.

I've racked together joists using a nail plate. I have only done this on one side as I cannot get to the other side because of the wall.

I have bought a meter length bit of wood which I will use to span the joint and bolt using M10 coach bolts and nuts.

My question is should I be buying a certain type of wood like a hard wood as it's structural or will a meter length from my local timber yard do?

Noseall- just seen your reply and this sounds I better idea of using a trimmer to pick up the last cut joist.

You mentioned using sleeve anchors to fix the trimmer into the wall but how would I do this if the trimmer is going head on into the wall?

I'd use a joist hanger for the end on the trimmer that goes onto the full length joist, but the end that needs to be fixed to the wall?? ...would I use a masonry to timber hanger or fit a ledger board and then use a hanger off this?

Sponsored Links
You mentioned using sleeve anchors to fix the trimmer into the wall but how would I do this if the trimmer is going head on into the wall?
No, what I actually said was "you can supplement the JOIST blah blah..." not the trimmer.

I'd use a joist hanger for the end on the trimmer that goes onto the full length joist, but the end that needs to be fixed to the wall?? ...would I use a masonry to timber hanger or fit a ledger board and then use a hanger off this?
Joist hangers (jiffy) will be fine each side of the trimmer piece. Make sure you fix the jiffy's to the trimmer first as you will not have access to the back fixings.

Ive tried to fix this joist this weekend, but the joist hanger I was going to use to fix to the trimmer to pick up the 1st floor joist gets in the way of the masonry hanger in the wall. This is be uses the joist is too close together wall.

What I guess I'm after is a type if L bracket that I can fix to the trimmer then it turns 90 degrees to pick up the joist. However I can't find anything on the market.

Can anyone help?

Below is the masonry hanger I plan to fix to one end of the trimmer going into the wall

The problem I have is the two hangers that connect the joist to the trimmer clash with the masonry joist. All I can think of is to use an angle bracket and fix on the one side

That's the type of device I was alluding to earlier except the strengthening gusset is in the center.
Don't know where you would buy it though. I'd make it in about 10 minutes in the workshop.

I have cut out the pocket and and ready to cut the wood. I just wondered if the 50mm deep pocket I have cut is sufficient or whrher the trimmer needed to fit on the full width of the 100mm wide brick?

Finished job. I sat two trimmers side by side in the end of the full width of the 100mm brick and used joist hangers to secure everywhere else. Feels secure.

Seems a shame, given the scale of the work, not to have just replaced the joist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back