Steel Baluster Or Steel Suppliers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks we are going to be building a raised deck in the garden the architect has specified the a steel baluster as detailed in the photo.

does anyone know where i could get one made or where is could get the box steel at a reasonable cost to build my own as i am ok with a welder.

i have been searching the net and the steel seems to be very expensive to say the least £80 to £100 for 1 x 6 m length of 70mm x 70mmx 5mm box mild steel and i need at least 10 lengths

Worcestershire area

View media item 54408
help would be appreciated

cheers

jon

Sponsored Links
Have a look on ebay, there are a number of places selling box to order at competitive prices. Last summer I had some stainless steel/glass balustrade fitted around my garden, it was costly and so for one run I elected to use 1.3m lengths of 50x50 box section clad with hardwood decking and set 200mm into a retaining wall using a core drill. The box cost next to nothing.

I do not remember the exact thickness of the box I used, however the use of 70x70x5 seem a bit over the top. My stainless balustrade is 48mm diameter and 3mm, again designed to meet building regulations and the supplying company provided the structural calcs. From your drawing it looks like the 70x70x5 is going to be fixed to some wooded joists, if this is the case then the balustrade will be much much stronger than the thing to which it is attached??? I bet there is a big cost difference between 50x50x3 and 70x70x5, perhaps worth while speaking to a local engineering company who installs this sort of thing. The company I used is called dio-met, given where you live the cost of shipping may make looking locally a better option however dio-met do sell on ebay and that is how I came into contact with them. Was very happy with what they supplied and fitted.

Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back