Steel Beam Design...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, before I start I am well aware I can talk to my structural engineer regarding this but I would like as much information as possible before I engage in this conversation so that I know I am understanding things correctly.

Just had steel beam calcs come back; I am knocking out back wall of house (cavity wall, house build 2004) and need to obviously place two steels in for each leaf. I expected that it would be the case of bolting the two steels together with spaces on padstones etc etc but the engineers drawings have left me a little perplexed; on the detail drawing it mentions "150x90 UKPFC bolted between 6mm f.w. full profile (on one side) and bolted together with M16Gr. 8.8 bolts and captive nuts on the other side."

Am I right in saying that a steel channel also needs to run down the entire length of the beam? Secondly, I am a little lost where it also states "Strap down ends of steels with proprietary straps O.S.A" Could someone supply me a link or image example of what and where these straps can be found?

Any help appreciated. Drawing attahced.
beam.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's extravagant for a normal beam in a house.

Does the engineer normally work for the oil rig industry?

It's not particularly clear to the uninitiated -- the PFC is the spacer between the beams. So it's basically some stubs about 200mm long, spaced along the beam.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony. This thread comes up when searching and also gets recommended from other threads. There's pobabably a 100:1 ratio of readers to posters. Hope that clarifies?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back