Steel instead of lintel - how to fix it down

oly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Single storey extension – over a wide opening (3.5m) I'm using a steel beam (152UC with 300mm x 8mm plate) instead of a cavity lintel.

Should I try to bolt the beam down to the padstones/engineering bricks?

Or strap it down from the timber plate to be fixed along its top?

Cheers for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
"What does your building inspector want you to do?", would possibly be the more valid question..

• Thanks
Reactions: oly
Or perhaps even more to the point, what does your SE say?

That is a good point, and I would say I am trying to understand what the options are – the SE's information/spec has been somewhat sketchy about this (he seems to be very pushed for time), whilst BC has referred me back to the SE.

In fairness, I'd say the SE is used to dealing with builders who 'know' how to fit/fix these things, whilst as a DIYer I'm in the dark about some of the detail points and this in particular I can't seem to find anything about.

I can imagine putting bolts through the bottom of the beam into the padstone, but I honestly don't know if this is ever done. Likewise, I can imagine using metal straps to pin the beam down, screwing them into the blockwork, but again I don't know if this is what a builder would consider.

So any simple, practical ideas from one more experienced than me would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Not massively experienced in these matters but in a similar situation (lintels above door and window in a single storey leanto) all Building Control up here wanted were steel straps over the top and screwed to the wall in a few places.

Gravity is your friend with a chunky bit of metal like that, the lateral load won't be much (especially if roof pitch is less than 45 degrees) and drilling through padstones might not be a good idea.....

• Thanks
Why bother tying it down anyway? As above, it's a chunky piece of steel and it won't be going anywhere.

Time and again we see inspectors (and not a few SEs) stating "Steel beams to be bolted down to padstones", but in practice it's difficult to do, and almost always a waste of time even trying.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back