Wooden lintel, replace with what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

Wondering if I can pick your collective brains about lintels and loading etc.

I’m intending to convert an old outbuilding/barn as a small workshop. The construction in solid 9” brick around 6m wide x 4.5m deep.
At one end, and the middle of the building there are some 500mm square brick piers, on top of which sits two large old oak beams running front to back (4.3m)

Inbetween the piers, I have a set of barn doors an opening of 2.5m... above this is an old lintel… which is a 7x3” timber beam with some 3” thick noggins and another 7x3” beam all connected with three large bolts sandwiching it all together.

About this old lintel is 800mm of 9” brickwork and then the wall plate of the roof.

I’m wondering if this timber lintel should be replaced with concrete or steel? The reason I'm asking is, as I’m intending to have a new roof (rot & worm) and hopefully some velux windows.

Sorry for the long post!

Sponsored Links
If the timber is in good condition, likewise for the wall above it, then there is no reason to change it.

Otherwise fit a steel lintel if you dont want to be looking at a concrete one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back