Steel beam install and external faceing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to figure out if my se specified an less then ideal beam.
Basically i have a design based on 2 parallel flange channel beams back to back. They are rigidly but bolted together.
On the inside i can wedge some wood in the channel and cover with plaster board.
But what do i do on the outside?
The beam is 200x90x30. So the gap in the flange is too small for a brick.
Do i trim the bricks and then bed them in mortar in the steel channel?

Looking now i should have got a single beam with a welded plate. But i have the beam now so i guess i have to work with it!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Classic SE:rolleyes:
You should have got that details from them as they should design something which is 'buildable' and fit for propose.
Back to the real world..
A picture and beam dimensions would be ideal. It's also been covered many times on here so is worth a search.

SE's tend to design beams only and not the covering to them. There was a thread a few months ago about how to infill a beam on a victorian house, there were options in that thread.

Frankly your SE has ducked the issue. The normal way around this is to spec a Universal Beam with a plate welded underneath to support the outer skin, as on the drawing.
The plate will usually be around 250 wide by 6-8 thick, depending on the width of cavity and load supported.
The problem here is that it produces torsion, which adds to the bending stress on the beam, and therefore has to be accounted for. But to put it tactfully, the method of doing this seems to cause some SEs problems!
Scan0091.jpg

Sponsored Links
Tony, do you use a cetain SE all the time or do you use various?

As Ian has 2 beams bolted together, the torsion should be negated. Could he bolt a plate to the outside beam.

I have the beam in place now.
But I still need to get it packed up ready for inspection.
https://goo.gl/photos/QU4qB4reW1NMuvAy6

Cheers for your thoughts.
I am glad I am not the only one who ends up in this situation!

I did do a search, but not found too much relevant. But that is probably me not searching for the right thing!

My plan for today is to pack the inside with slate and dry mix to complete that side and then brick above the beam on the outside.

This will then just leave the inside of the channel to do. But that can be done next weekend once the props are down.
As I think I will need to cut each brick to make it fit into the channel!

Question, do I need to put some DPC from the bottom of the joists on the inside to the top of the beam on the outside?

Christ on a bike, those end bearings look trés lean. I'd have expected 150mm minimum.

On drawing I have from the SE, it shows only 100mm and then on the 215 plate onto the bricks. You think this is too small??
The compressive strength of the steel plate and the engineering bricks will be enough, your SE has staked his insurance on it so it'll hold!
If recommend against posting photos of your house in an insecure state together with your full address. Not that anything is likely to happen, but it's bad practice just in case.
I think the bolted arrangement will help with thermal bridging a bit, if you had a plate welded underneath how would you avoid transferring heat straight across it and condensation etc?

Christ on a bike, those end bearings look trés lean. I'd have expected 150mm minimum.
Agree - I wondered about that, particularly if the bricks are perforated? But, if the SE says it's OK...........?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back