Steel cavity lintel sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone can help with lintel dimensions or how to correctly size them. There not massive spans I need one at 1800 long and another at 2200 for a set of 1500 patio doors and a 1900 window.

I've been adviced to use Catnic or IG the wall make up is 100-100-100 cavity. Both skins are block. Above the lintel is one corse of block then straight on to wallplate with a fink trussed roof at 600centres.

There are different duties, standard, hd, extra hd and extreme. I'm obviously looking at standard duty mainly for cost but no one I speak to can tell me how to work it out, the BCO just said it'll probably be ok, and most builders I know have agreed. But how can I tell for sure?

I'm thinking if no one can tell me a method for calculating if I should use standard then brace across the trusses with some 7x2 to ensure better load spread and less chance of sag?

Sponsored Links
The manufacturers will generally work it out for you FOC if you supply them with basic loading details, and will give you some sums to satisfy building control.

Any wall floor or roof bearing on a lintel will be a standard load for a standard lintel

Thank you most merchants round here stock IG so perhaps il send them a email. That's the insane thing it was the BCO saying that'll probably do it'll be allright, no interest in calculations or anything....

Sponsored Links
Any wall floor or roof bearing on a lintel will be a standard load for a standard lintel
Thanks for your reply Woody, that kind of echos what others have said. What are the heavy grading lintels actually for out of interest? I can't imagine a scenario for the use of them?

If there is an excessive (atypical) loading - say a concrete floor, or a long span floor or roof, point load or masonry that is not spread evenly or at all across the span, then you might select a greater capacity lintel to deal with greater loadings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back