DPC above new cavity wall lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking at putting a new window into a cavity wall. Ive put in a couple of internal lintels before but never in a cavity wall. I am slightly worried about the DPC as most cavity wall lintels mentions DPC required. Searching the internet there isn’t much information on how to install a DPC on a retrofit lintel. We found a Catnic CG50/100 lintel 2100mm long and on there website it mentions it has a build in DPC.
Using this lintel, would this eliminate me having to put in a separate DPC?
Or is there anyone who could explain how to install a DPC above the lintel.

Sponsored Links
The shape of the catnic boot lintel, means that it functions as a cavity tray. Don't forget the weep holes

Except in areas of severe exposure, the coating on Catnic lintels (plus their shape) eliminates the need for a separate DPC.
Other lintes, such as galvanised steel types, do need a separate DPC over them. Retro-fitting one is a pain, so make life easy and fit a Catnic

Sponsored Links
No I did not say that. I said that the lintel , in the shape of a boot which is made by the Catnic company does not need a cavity tray.

Thanks for explaining that, I will put in a catnic one in, it looks a pain putting in a separate DPC. Would I still need to put in weep holes. Are they just plastic holes which go through the mortar.

Sorry woody I just googled boot lintels so I know what you mean now. I was looking at putting in the type which is in the link

As i am aware the point of a DPC above a lintel is to stop corrosion of the lintel by water in the cavity. It should also direct any water to the outer leaf to escape via weep holes.

From what i can remember many common 'Catnic' lintels have a 'built in DPC, which means its designed and protected in a way that a DPC is not required.

As long as the lintel (go for a catnic) has a 'built in DPC' and any water is directed to the outer leaf, you'll be fine. (don't forget weep holes)

Hope his helps

I found out only recently that by using Crown dri-therm cavity batts you are in effect creating a moisture barrier due to their water repelling construction.

A bit like having a sheet of polythene in the cavity.

Still need weep vents though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back