Steel design to support chimney stack Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Builders are in the process of starting a loft conversion for me. My neighbour is still using one of his flus in the chimney so there is not an option of removing the chimney stack. A SE has suggested that he can support the stack with a beam which will allow me to remove the chimney breast at loft level. He showed me some pics.

Is this a valid and safe design? Will appreciate your comments.
IMG-20210525-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20210602-WA0025.jpg
IMG-20210602-WA0026.jpg
IMG-20210602-WA0027.jpg
IMG-20210525-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20210525-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20210525-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20210525-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20210602-WA0025.jpg
IMG-20210602-WA0026.jpg
IMG-20210602-WA0027.jpg
IMG-20210525-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20210525-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20210525-WA0008.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks perfectly sound, incidentally, in fact perhaps a little over the top.
One central post would have sufficed.

Sponsored Links
Whilst technically it may well be able to be proved by an SE, I would not want a steel beam in such an important, but exposed and vulnerable location unless it was galvanised.

And exactly how much extra room has been gained after all this malarkey and expense?

Whilst technically it may well be able to be proved by an SE, I would not want a steel beam in such an important, but exposed and vulnerable location unless it was galvanised.

And exactly how much extra room has been gained after all this malarkey and expense?

Hi Woody,

How much chimney breast is permitted to be removed in the loft if I did not go for this option? As I want to remove as much as possible to maximise space

Looks like it gains half a brick!!

Can't you rebuild the stack on your side a bit narrower with it still being structurally stable? I've seen many rows of houses with back to back stacks and half width single stacks on the ends.

If the engineer says it ok then it's ok.

As per previous replies, it's a bit OTT for a few extra feet of space. Much (much) cheaper to just plasterboard around the existing breast. You can still use the space either side for alcove shelving or cupboards.

Also, if at any point in the future someone wanted to reinstate the chimney to install a woodburning stove (for example), then it would cost a lot more without an existing flue, and be more disruptive internally.

Hi Woody,

How much chimney breast is permitted to be removed in the loft if I did not go for this option? As I want to remove as much as possible to maximise space

There are several factors that will influence this so its not a straightforward answer.

You need to be clear of the advantages compared to the cost and end result. Any engineer could design you something and would love to do that and be paid handsomely, and likewise any builder will just do what is asked of them and be paid for it. And building control will just agree any engineers design.

Also be aware of the Party Wall Act, the costs in that and the potential for the PW surveyor to require different or additional works - all at your cost too.

That design in the photos looks to be a complete waste of time and money for removing 230mm of what is already a large loft area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back