Steel frame house - Angle grinder taken to steel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm looking at buying a steel framed house, I think it's a Trusteel Mk1.

No survey has been instructed yet but on the viewing I noticed a doorway through the external wall of the house, which originally led to an outhouse/utility, has been enlarged from typical doorway size to around 2m to make the old outhouse a kitchen extension.

In the middle of the floor in this new opening was a steel I beam which originally ran vertically but has been cut out with an angle grinder in order to make the opening clear. This is about half way along the length of the house (ie it's not near a corner). The I beam is probably about 75mm x 75mm.

The owner claimed ignorance and implied the builder who'd done it had sorted it out somehow.

Obviously an engineers report will confirm what the situation is but my initial instinct was that this has probably been hacked out without any thought, and I might walk away without wasting survey money.

Anybody have any ideas on this? If it has been removed 'properly' how would it be done, by cutting it out and running a similar beam horizontally between the other matching I beams?

Would appreciate any comments.

Rich

Sponsored Links
If you are buying the place because you like it, why not get a survey.
If you are buying for other reasons, then its a different issue.
I don't think you can take advice on here, you need an expert, not saying there arnt experts on here, but it needs eyes on it.

Ask for building regs certs etc.. doesnt sound like one of the main members even so still needs supporting on trimmers etc.

Won't be any building regs certs, I think this was pretty much a case of "ah there's a steel thing in the way, break out the grinder lads" :rolleyes:

Wellll I might just instruct the survey and hope for the best, can presumably be fixed if needs be somehow...

Sponsored Links
Yep can be fixed.. but needs a fair amount of exposing of the main columns to do it properly which can mean you find more problems..

Has it fallen down yet....? Indemnity insurance, sorted! :-S

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back